DCC display goes off [Select]

Rookie1707822686

Hi all,

I have bought a Select DCC controller, I had connected it to the tracks, but I whenever I put the DCC enable locomotive on the track DCC's display goes off and a tik tik sound is coming out, I am not sure that the sound is coming from tracks or from DCC itself, but locomotive is not getting registered, when I take locomotive off the track, display comes back and tik tik sound stops, what could be the reason behind this coz I have already spent alot of money on decoder and DCC, kindly suggest.

Thanks.

Please help!

Almost certain that the locomotive has a 'short circuit' fault. You can confirm this by putting a multimeter across the wheels set to measure resistance.

Multimeters can be purchased cheaply off ebay for less than £8 delivered.

That doesn't change my diagnostic diagnosis. It just points to the decoder being faulty and creating the short circuit between the black and red wires on the decoder.

Reverting the loco to DC by inserting a blanking plate simply connect the wheels on each side to the motor direct. When a decoder is plugged in you use all 8-pins and if there is a short twixt any two the fault will show. That is in addition to the possibility of a duff decoder.

Lift the decoder socket and ensure there is no solder tracking between pin traces or incorrect wiring. If you have one try the decoder in a known good loco, rather than risk another decoder in this loco.