Point Motors and LEDS

Josh57

I plan on using Hornby R8014 point motors in my layout. These will be wired to a central control panel.

My question is - can Hornby Passing Contact Switch RO44 be wired to include LED's or do I need a separate switch on my control panel to indicate which track is open ?

The usual method is to clip a Peco PL-13 slider switch to the R8014 and this will give a true indication of the point position. Other switch types can be used such as micro-switches. Note that the led circuit needs to be separate from the point activation circuit.

Here is such a circuit noting that if you use bi-colour 3-legged leds they are common cathode wired as shown. Supply voltage can be as convenient - I used the uncontrolled Aux output from an old HM2000 controller.

forum_image_61d164928799e.png.008347c3f93a3a2939da52a3a95def78.png

Wiring indicator leds via a separate panel switch only tells you that you made the selection not that the motor moved across successfully.

Those Peco PL-13 are horrible, I have had so many issues with them. They add an enormous load to the point motor and because they are just a copper wiper moving on effectively a copper clad PCB always oxidising and giving issues, plus they is no adjustment for the throw of the point I used them extensively on my layout to power frogs and isolating sections until I realised the issues. If you are going to do it this way use some of those lever microswitches on the plastic point lever. As I use Peco electrofrog points and DCC, I found a better way, by using the blade of the point to operate a relay.

Point motors need a pulse to fire them, not constant voltage, so a passing contact switch is used. This, as the name implies only passes voltage as the lever is moved. Once at the other end there is no contact so no voltage is being applied to the point motor, thus it will not burn out.

To light your LEDS you could use latching relays. These operate by the coil being pulsed and thus change over but they latch, so power can be removed. The contacts on the relay will provide a switch for the LEDs.

The these are single coil type

https://www.cricklewoodelectronics.com/Miniature-Relay-DPDT-12VDC-2Amps.html?gclid=Cj0KCQiAt8WOBhDbARIsANQLp97tOgFQKI-3hVU9rpETq5iKFC5ImOm70KSWNRuqfjdCojEqYYw_kQcaAoMlEALw_wcB

Or

Twin coil

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12V-Miniature-Latching-Relay-DPDT-HFD2-/264406647640?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0