Fitting Hornby TTS Sound Decoder into an R3099 Flying Scotsman

Skier

Hi

I own a Flying Scotsman tender drive loco (model no. R3099).

I have purchased a TTS Sound Decoder to fit into the tender but for the life of me I can not work out how to install it. Easy part is plugging it in - the trouble starts when trying to work out where to put the speaker. There is an area under the weight that looks taylor made for the speaker (without it's surround). I did manage to put the speaker here and put the tender back together however the sound was not good at all - almost as if the speaker could not vibrate fully.

Does anyone have any experience of fitting a sound decoder into this type of loco (or similar)? I would really welcome some advice on how best to do it.

Many thanks

Have a read of this, especially para 7.2.

hornbytwintracksoundinstallationsv4-final.pdf (halton96th.org.uk)

Fitting the speaker without the enclosure is possible but you do need to seal the front from the back to maximise the acoustics. Blu/white/black-Tak is good for this. Else fit a cube speaker on top of or inside the weight depending upon if the hole is round or oblong/round.

Initially on my very old tender driven Flying Scotsman I put the 8 pin socket into the loco and did the opposite of what Hornby do now and connected them together using the 4 pin lead excerpt the socket is in the loco and the wire comes from the tender.

If you change the speaker to a sugar cube there might be enough room at the back of the ringfield, or if you use a Road and Rails super thin one at the side where the brushes are. What you have to do is bin the Hornby supplied speaker generally in most cases and use a smaller easier to fit one, which incidentally sounds better anyway.