Hornby R2457 Anzac

ColinB

Does anyone know if Hornby R2457 Anzac is Tender Driven or Loco Driven. I have looked on the web and everywhere it is listed as 5 pole Ringfield motor, even the Service Sheet lists it as that. The advert on EBay shows the front and side panels as having the label "DCC ready" but surely Hornby didn't make "DCC ready" locos with ringfield drive. I have looked at the Service Sheet and there is no DCC socket and lead listed. So has anyone any idea whether this is loco or tender drive or DCC ready? I have a Firth of Tay that has an R number just greater that this one and it has a completely different mechanism. So did they upgrade this loco without changing the part number (yes I know, but it was at about Hornbys difficult period).

I have my doubts it would be DCC-ready at the time of manufacture, but we know some modellers change bodies, chassis, etc......... If the loco details are on the insert rather than on the end of the box, a later box carrying DCC-ready labels could have been substituted.

The Service Sheet includes later release R2484 also as tender driven and I think squeezing a decoder in to the comparatively small tender body would have been difficult. Also, online images show the jaws/feelers drawbar.

The next incarnation was introduced the following year with a DCC socket on a motorised loco chassis, so unlikely Hornby would have upgraded the tender driven version at its 11th hour.

Hattons have a photo of the box along with text saying that it is DCC compatible but not DCC ready with a Ringfield motor. It seems that there must be a printing error on the box. On the Hattons one and the one on EBay they both have the DCC ready logo, but are obviously not.

I have just realised Anzac had the high-sided BR1D tender so space perhaps is not a consideration after all.

The 5-pole drive was also used in the 9F but none of them were released around that time, and also in the 37 & 47 both of which carried on without a socket until 2007 and replacement by the ex-Lima locos.

Colin, have you not come across the Hornby Railway Collectors Guide? This usually has all the info you need for older locos, gets sparse on modern.

In this instance, shows the 5-pole tender driven detail but unfortunately the service sheet hasn’t been uploaded so a socket can’t be confirmed either way. E-bay listing on the page has the box with the DCC Ready logo on the side and the end.

Yes Fishmanoz I found the Service Sheet on the Hornby Website but no DCC socket. I must admit I have never seen a DCC socket on a Ringfield motor, although I generally avoid tender drive like the plague, too many issues with pickups and valve gear on previous setups. I have contacted the Seller, it appears there is no instruction sheet so he was waiting information from his mate.