Railcar decoder installation

Roger-1227646

Hi there, I was wondering if there was anyone who could offer advice / help please.

I have an old Hornby Railcar R369 (I believe) and I want to install a decoder chip but I am unsure of the connections I should use. This is the first time I have ever done this do I am a complete novice.

I've included a couple of photos which may help.

Many thanks

forum_image_61d992d8836f8.png.86fc6ae3b0e9bbd3dd77632ce1afbaba.png

forum_image_61d992da77cb1.thumb.png.eb72418b90a555164a0285be83b5588d.png

Roger, that looks like the back of a Ringfield motor [needs confirming by others], if so these can be converted to DCC, but the conversion is not straight forward and there are extra hoops to jump through to do it correctly.

Others are likely to know this model and give targeted advice, but in the meantime read on [take particular note of any replies made by member "Flashbang". FB is 'Brian Lambert' referenced further below].

There are different variants of a Ringfield motor and each variant has its own conversion methodology. So first thing that is needed is to identify the type you have (assuming I am correct and it is a Ringfield).

To do this and see documentaion with regard the conversion method. Navigate to the "General Discussion" forum. Open the sticky thread at the top titled "Useful Links". Navigate to and follow the link to "Brian Lambert's Decoder Installation" note the comment about scrolling down the page to the Ringfield section.

One of my moderator colleagues is very likely in due course to leave a reply asking you to change your forum ID from "Roger" to something unique [we have a lot of Rogers on the forum]. So when you see it, please do follow the 'How To' guidance he gives in it.

As this is your first post snd my reply is long, when replying, please note that the "Blue button with white arrow" is not a "Reply to this post" button. To reply, scroll to the bottom of the page and use the "Reply Text Box" and click the green "Post Reply" button ... thankyou

As a rough guide additional to that given by Chris, first snip out the orange capacitor as it is not needed. Suppression is taken care of by the decoder.

Then look behind that tang on the left hand brush, does it contact a metal peg that protrudes from the motor housing, if so snip off the peg or insert an insulating material twixt the peg and the tang.

If no peg evident then the left hand brush screw is making contact with the motor housing and passing current from the wheels up to the motor brush and we simply replace the metal screw by a nylon screw to provide isolation.

Check twixt each motor brush and their associated wheel side. The aim is to ensure isolation before attempting to wire in a decoder.