Hornby eLink Inactive

I have purchased a second eLink and RailMaster software to run a layout at a separate location. The software has installed and updated to V 1.74 revision 0 and I have set up the eLink as Com1 with the baud rate of 115,200 etc etc. However, the software finds the eLink but in the system panel at the bottom is says DCC controller A inactive. I have tried both eLinks and get the same message. When I connect them to my original set up, they both work ok and have firmware versions 1.07, what have I missed?

At the top of this RailMaster forum is a sticky thread titled "RailMaster FAQ Index", open the sticky thread and navigate to FAQ1 and work your way through the documented FAQ1 tutorial.

Note Com 3 or Com 4 is preferred over Com 1, Com 1 in Windows is usually reserved for other uses. I suspect that Com 1 showing in your configuration is part of your issue error. I feel confident that there is a mis-match between the Com port showing in Windows Device Manager and the Com port showing in RailMaster. My FAQ1 goes through all this in detail, I would not be suprised to find that your "railmaster.ini" entries are not optimum either. Again this is documented in FAQ1.

Note also that the current RM version is 1.74.5 and not 1.74.0. The .0 version will not auto-update to .5 and needs manual update. Download 1.74.5 from the "RailMaster download link"sticky thread, then right click the downloaded and saved installer file and choose the "Run as administrator" option. Run the installer over the top of the .0 version which does not need to be uninstalled.

With version 1.74.x RM it is very important to check and edit the "Reset elink on start" line in the "railmaster.ini" file as documented in the FAQ when using an eLink. If your Com numbers are not mis-matched, then this .ini file entry is the next thing to check. But do go through all steps in the FAQ, they are all potentially important to fix your issue.

This is a very long reply and this is your first forum post. Please note that the "Blue button with white arrow" is not a "Reply to this post" button. To reply use the "Reply Text Box" at the bottom of the page and click the green "Post Reply" button.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the information. I have worked through FAQ1 and downloaded the setup file for RailMaster V1.74.5. Chrome didn't like it at all, but IE downloaded it without a hitch. I upgraded RailMaster but still had the problem. I deleted the railmaser.ini. file which was easy to find and reinstalled RailMaster and hey presto the eLink worked. I'm using COM1 and have found the connection to be stable.

Many thanks for the help.

Glad my FAQ helped.

I have written many FAQ tutorials for RailMaster as well as other topics. It is always worthwhile reviewing the "sticky threads" for the copious useful information that can be found there.

At the risk of repeating what has already been given to you above, having “forced” the change to com 3 or 4 and ensured both Device Manager and RM Setup are again showing the same port and configuration, have you now gone through the appropriate FAQs to check/edit the new ini file to ensure it contains the correct data for your configuration, in the correct order?

Many forum contributors will tell you that, until you have the optimal ini file contents for your setup, long term reliability is not assured.