Hornby R8232 Digital Electric Point Track Clip

Chris1970

Hi

I’m just starting to build an 8 ft x 1 1/2 foot shelf layout

90% of my stock are digitally chipped and sound decoded.

I have 2 old Hornby steam engines and a DMU (all analogue) I would like to run still with an analogue controller

When I fit the above part (clips to the points) could I run one of these at a time so long as nothing else was on the track apart from rolling stock?

Many thanks.

Chris

Electrofrog points infers PECO branded Electrofrog points. You should not use Hornby point clips on PECO Electrofrog points, Electrofrog points are electrically completely different to Hornby self isolating Insulfrog points. Power distribution on a layout based on PECO Electrofrog track products is completely different to Hornby. For one thing PECO Electrofrog points have Insulated Rail Joiners [iRJs] inserted on the frog rails where the point is not feeding into an unpowered (via BUS) dead end siding. If you don't use the IRJs, then you will generate short circuits. PECO Electrofrog based layouts needs multiple power connections to the track from the controller, which lends itself to a DCC Bus power distribution solution.

Hornby DCC R8232 Point Clips are only appropriate to being used on Hornby branded points.

This is I believe the main reason why Hornby have not developed an equivalent PECO Electrofrog track system. The Electrofrog system can not use a SINGLE track power controller connection which does not fit in with Hornby's policy of trying to keep wiring as simple as possible.