Fitting sound to Hornby Britannia

ColinB

I don't know if this should go under DCC but it is a general topic.

I am fitting sound to a Hornby Britannia Robin Hood. Opening it up I remembered why I moved the DCC socket to the tender on these, there is very little room, the valve gear is fragile and the fit is very tight. Anyway Hornby sell two replacement tender bottoms that will take the speaker and have space for a DCC socket. There are two tender bottoms that work X9601 and X9602. Now X9601 comes with black bearing covers, X9602 comes with yellow bearing covers. X9601 requires you to add your own front mounting piece, DCC socket, 4 pin socket and drawbar. X9602 comes with all of it, but it has yellow covers. X9602 is better valve for money as it has it all. My loco had black covers. The thing I didn't know was these covers glue on so all you do is lever off the new ones ans replace them with the ones from your old tender. It is a lot easier than trying to get the paint off which I initially tried.

What is the R number of your Robin Hood?

I have the R3865 Britannia Oliver Cromwell and the tender is all setup to receive a speaker and decoder. There is oodles of room in there.

When putting in R3865 in the Hornby instructions page, I get a different loco, the Princess Coronation (which I also own) so I assume they all use the same chassis/tender setup.

https://support.hornby.com/hc/en-gb/article_attachments/360016355580/hss_438d_princess_coronation_2017_onwards.pdf

If your loco is anything like my Oliver Cromwell, and if you were able to get the tender parts for it, it’d be ready to go, assuming your TTS is Hornby.

The R number is R2719. Yes with the fix the setup is exactly the same as Oliver Cromwell, the post was just there to inform people that rather than try and get the yellow paint off the bearing covers it is easier to prise the ones off the old tender and replace the new one with them. It is weird the way Hornby work, you can buy X9601 where you have to add all those parts one of which you have to prise off your old model very carefully, or you buy X9602 which is complete except it has yellow bearing covers. X9602 is about £3.00 to £4.00 more expensive but has about £12.00 of extra parts on it. I am adding sound for a friend, I would probably put up with the yellow bearing covers, I am not sure he would.

As I said it is for a friend to fit sound, it doesn't have a box so I don't know its actual R number. I suspect it is R2719 as R2142 is early enough to be a tender drive model which this is not. The actual post was to stop people doing what I did, spend an hour trying to get the yellow paint off the new tender bottom, when all you have to do is prise off the yellow bearing covers and place them with the black ones off your old tender. Also it is better to buy X9602M rather than X9601M if you are going to do the conversion. I must admit though both parts are becoming harder to find.

Sorry Colin but the Title Police are out in force in Sydney this sunny summer morning. They’ve asked me to ask you to explain why the title of this thread is about fitting sound when you say in your second post in the thread that it is actually about replacing yellow tender bearing covers?

Originally it was posted in the General Section one of the admin guys moved it here. If you didn't fit sound you would have no need to change the tender bottom. If you don't change the tender bottom to x9602 you don't have to change the bearing caps to black ones.

The post was meant to highlight that rather than spending an hour trying to get the yellow off the bearing covers as I did and finding out that I couldn't get all the minute traces off. The easier solution is to prise off the covers and replace them with the ones from your old tender. I just assumed that they were part of the tender bottom moulding. It wasn't until I noticed one had fell off on one of my other Britannia tenders that I realised.

Perhaps the title should read Changing Britannia Tender Bearing Covers.