Decoder [Accessory] Programming issue

T Cat

Hi all,

I am rebuilding my dads setup and automating all the points. He had an older decoder in the box of kit which I have managed to set up with point motors on a Select controller no problem. The issue I have is today I brought another decoder, looks the same but different model number. But no matter what I try it won't prgramm up. I've had it connected on just a short piece of cable direct to controller but no joy!

Is this likely to be a duff controller or am I missing something ?

Couple of questions.

What is the make and model of the accessory decoder you have already got and ditto for the new one.

What make and model are the point motors you are trying to use now.

What is the version state of your Select controller, check the first number seen as it powers up, this will be between 10 and 20 followed by 30 then 03.

As Hornby is down the road from me I took the new decoder back and exchanged it in case it was faulty this morning but the exchanged one is doing the same thing.

So now I am thinking it won't work with the controller?

I think you meant the R8216 and not R8126. The R8216 is from the same era as your current Select firmware [see below], thus why that one works.

The 11 indicates that the Select controller is version 1.1 firmware. This firmware version has a known bug that can damage the later R8247 Accessory Decoders. I strongly suggest that you disconnect your R8247 from the Select until the firmware is upgraded, else you risk permanently damaging it, that is if it is not damaged already. You will know if the R8247 is damaged if it fails when trying to operate a point connected to Port 1.

The Select upgrade is a return to Hornby upgrade and you will need a 'returns number' from customer services, even if you deliver the Select in person. The upgrade charge is typically £15.

The Select will be returned (currently) with version 1.6 firmware. This will totally transform your Select user experience and this upgrade provides the ability to write to CVs in the 1 to 255 range, as well as full support for sound decoders.

The user interface [how you use it] is totally different, so you will need to download the Select 1.5 User Guide Manual PLUS the Select 1.6 - 2.0 Addendum manual. These are downloadable from the manuals section of the "Support" part of the Hornby website.

Upgrading your Select firmware is very likely to resolve your core reported issue too.

Had you known about the Select v1.1 bug you could have mentioned that and maybe got your update for free. If you are handy for Margate then I would take your Select and R8247 down there again on a weekday and ask to talk to a Tech Guy. They may sort it for you there and then.

I agree with Chris your new R8247 is probably caput again. we have spoken to this problem several times before on the forum.

The R8216 is limited to pulse only output and subject to special procedure when re-programming, but if it's working OK then leave well alone.

Further to Rob's reply where he says "leave well enough alone" with regard the existing old R8216.

This depends upon what DCC port addresses have been configured with the Select using version 1.1 firmware.

I suspect that you may have configured addresses 60, 61, 62, 63 for the four R8216 Accessory Decoder ports.

When the Select firmware is updated, then the Accessory Decoder addressing scheme will become updated to be compliant with the NMRA standard. This means that the DCC address 60 is abandoned on the Select, and points should start at address 61 instead. 61, 62, 63, 64 for the first Accessory Decoder and 65, 66, 67, 68 for the second and so on etc. This means that you are likely to be better off re-addressing the R8216 after the Select firmware upgrade to 61 to 64 if they are not already configured with those addresses..

Thanks for the help guys. Will speak to Hornby tomorrow.

Shame there wasn't a warning about this on the new decoder box.

As I am new to this and was unaware of the firmware issues, once you had said about firmware updates I guesed this would be the issues as it had been sat around for a while.

Rest of the rebuild is almost done and looking good so just this last hurdle. Just trying to get it working for My dads Grandsons as he didnt get chance to finish it for them.

Much appreciated

To be fair to Hornby, they fixed the Select problem many years ago and presumably folk would have their controllers updated by now.

I see no need for them to write up an historical fault of one piece of kit on the new box or instructions of another piece of kit, as the fault association was widely discussed on the open forums.

Edit - likely too late to catch you before you go but the Hornby tech guys are off sick and you will probably to advised to contact support to have your Select updated. As it is a known fault you should get this done f.o.c.

Many thanks . Yes dropped in the controller and just waiting for them to let me know its done. I did ask about the decoder and they said once the controller is updated it should be fine? I guess i will have to see what happens when the controller come back

Hopefully the Accessory Decoder will be OK, but just to reiterate, if it is damaged, the fault shows as a chattering relay sound when port 1 is operated.