W1 Sound

thirdline

My as built W1 is the only loco I have without sound so I’d like to add it. As far as I know nobody is producing a sound decoder for it, I could quite willingly fit another one that would sound similar, but what on earth did it sound like? I assume it would be quite different from any other steam loco.

Unlikely to be any one around to say what the ‘right’ sound should be so it’s open to lots of speculation.

Non Hornby sound files are available but at a price.

To choose one from the TTS range of decoders, you would need to get as close as possible to the mechanical makeup of the prototype by selecting a similar configuration.

For example the W1 was a compound 4 cylinder, so a 3 cylinder A4 won’t cut it. Looking at TTS for 4 cylinder locos, I considered the GWR King but the whistle would be wrong.

As the chuffs on a TTS never match, you could look at a 2 cylinder to masquerade as a 4, again taking care to match the whistle.

Clearly that rules out Southern or Western locos.

I ended up choosing the Britannia decoder as it’s a ‘soft’ 2 cylinder with a chimelike whistle.

The rebuilt W1 was a 3 cylinder with a modified P2 boiler so I put the P2 decoder in mine.

Neither are perfect but they sound convincing to me.

I put the TTS P2 into my original one and then found it was only really applicable to the rebuilt one. YouChoos do one but I have yet to find out if it is for the original one or the rebuilt one. As there is probably nobody around to tell you what it actually sounded like I suppose the only important bit is the whistle.

Thanks guys,

I wasn’t sure if there was any old film footage that may have given some idea of what it sounded like. The Brit TTS sounds like a workable option.

I can’t remember where but I have read somewhere that there is a cv that can be programmed to sync the wheels with the chuff, not sure if TTS supports that.