Adding TTS sound to Mixed Freight set

DADnALEX

Hello,

Is it possible to add TTS sound to the mixed freight set? The DCC decoders already fitted are much smaller and don't plug in in the same way the Hornby TTS decoders do (8 pin).

Very much a newbie, so any help appreciated. Picture of the diesel attached.

Thanks,

Mike

forum_image_620fca332746e.thumb.png.2abbbf8efa4f6cff20b5a0dc2cf19d77.png

Electrically, It is doable but space in the loco will be tight so whether it is physically doable is another matter.

The pin connections can be dealt with easy enough, by either converting the 4 pin loco plug to an 8 pin socket or converting the TTS 8 pin plug to a 4 pin socket. I favour converting the loco to 8 pin so that the TTS decoder can be more easily replaced if needed. The pin out information you need can be found on Brian Lamberts Decoder pages. A link to these pages will be found in the "Useful Links" sticky thread at the top of the "General Discussion" forum.

The issue I see is the TTS speaker, it is highly likely to be far too large to physically fit. The supplied TTS speaker will likely need replacing for a very much smaller one [look at the YouChoos website for speakers].

All of this needs fine soldering skills.

As this is your very first post on this forum and my reply is a very long one. Please reply using the "Reply Text Box" at the bottom of the page and ignore the within post blue button which is not a reply to this post button. Thank you for your cooperation.

The existing 4 pin socket needs to be removed and replaced by soldering the 2 track wires and 2 motor wires to the relevant pins on an 8 pin socket. A sugar cube type speaker can be stuck with double sided pad to the back of the loco's radiator. A photo of my solution fitting the TTS to an 08 loco will be posted when approved.........HB

Re: fine soldering.

It might be useful to read FAQ3 located in the "General Discussion FAQ Index" sticky thread. If changing the speaker use the soldering iron at the speaker end wires, not the decoder end.