Hornby brass gear

anthony0372

Hi... ive been having issues with the Hornby S2290 brass gear, i have a small g-clamp but the issue is that it has a swivel head, and i have never used these clamps before, im a complete newbie when it comes to using these things, should i use a clamp or just resort to using a small vice? if so, how do i properly use one of these with a swivel head or a vice to fit the brass gear?

I have not replaced that gear myself but I would have thought that ideally a small special press type tool would be required.

Someone like Forum member 'The son of Triangman' should be able to advise and hopefully he will see this thread later.

I would use a vice to gently press the gear on to the shaft for stability. The gear probably has a tapered bore so offer up the larger side to the shaft first. The shaft projects beyond the outer face of the gear so use the old gear as a spacer between the new gear and the vice jaw. Do not press the gear home tight to the bearing that sits behind it; allow around 0.5mm float so the armature assembly can spin freely. Lubricate the shaft bearing behind the gear with a small amount of model oil before running.