Class 31 TTS sound decoder issues

AceinOz

I have a new Hornby Class 31 and I installed a Hornby Class 31 TTSound decoder. I use a NCE dcc system. The loco ran normally up to about 13 on the controller (28 step). When I pushed the speed higher, over 15, the loco started to stop and start. This stopped when the speed was reduced back down to 13. I swapped out the tts decoder with a bog standard Hornby 8 pin decoder and the train runs normally on all speeds. Anyone have a view what might be wrong with the TTS decoder?

You need to put it into 128 speed steps as that is the basic operating requirement.

It sounds as if the current draw at higher speeds is causing the decoder to self protect and shut down-reboot, especially if you have the additional load of lights. Do a motor stall current check on DC with a blanking plate fitted.

Agree Rob’s suggestion of a stall current test. However, doesn’t seem right that the TTS shuts down at half speed, might it be faulty.

Given that bog standard is an 8249, it should have exactly the same current capability as the TTS, so another indication of a fault?