Protecting the decoder PCB

FinnerZ

I seem to remember there being some confusion about wheather or not to wrap the decoder PCB in insulating tape on the old forum - not doing so can easily result in electrostatic damage, but doing so can cause it to overheat. I feel that I may have a solution:
When

I open the small sealed plastic packet which contains the decoder, I cut off the very end of one of the shorter ends. When I have removed the decoder (holding it by the wires) I place the short end of the PCB up against the cut end of the packet. I then cut

the other short end of the packet a little beyond the other end of the decoder so that the packet is a little longer than the PCB. I then put the PCB in the packet and push it up against one of the heat sealed sides before folding and taping the other heat

sealed side over the PCB. This protects it when handling but allows air flow around it. Sorry if I have been unclear but I find it quite hard to explain without a picture.

I just use Kapton Tape to insulate the metal parts of the loco the decoder might come into contact with. If you're worried about static electrickery from handling the decoder then use an anti-static wrist straps that you can buy from computer shops.

The sensible advice from Bernd Lenz was to insulate the chassis (and area around where the decoder would fit) - but leave the decoder free to dissipate its heat!

The Hornby Sleeve is a loose-fit over the decoder, allowing some airflow.

Beware

certain packaging plastics might conduct electricity - allowing a short circuit, whilst others maybe the opposite: highly insulating allowing a static charge to build up on them (particularly during handling} which could damage components. Using the provided

material is therefore best!

I agree, I thought that if the decoder was sold in that plastic, it should be safe to use. One problem is that all my trains are at least a few years old so none are DCC ready, so I'm worried I might damage the decoder while soldering it in. I did wonder

though, it says don't let any metal touch the decoder, but what if one of the pins on the plug touches it in the packaging? Thanks for the suggestion about the tape and insulating the loco chassis.

There is no problem, if, within the packaging, a pin were to touch any part of the decoder - as there is NO VOLTAGE present (unless you rub it like a balloon on a pullover first! [creating static electricity]. It used to be common to deliver ICs wrapped

in aluminium foil - a very good conductor! - precisely because it conducts and therefore prevents static charges IN TRANSIT building up. Some 'pink' or 'black' plastic bags used to supply components [often marked] are specially designed to leak static charges

away.
These should NOT then be used to 'protect' the decoder from touching metalwork 8-)
Insulating tape, however, applies to the exposed metalwork, does what it says.
Heat-conducting plastics may have been used in the factory-wrap to allow the heat

to pass through.

Don't touch the decoder without anti-static handling precautions is the golden rule, I use anti-static temperature controlled soldering irons, anti-static mats to prevent accidents, wrist straps and these are checked at regular intervals to ensure they

are in good working order.

Non conductive Heat shrink sleeving like the Hornby sleeving is ok for the decoders, never use insulation tape to wrap the decoder it totally restricts airflow. I use a decoder fitting doublesided pad, it is secured to the

chassis with a tiny blob of bostick in case I need to remove the pad at some time if the loco is sold on as a DC loco, the Hornby sleeve or heat shrink sleeve with decoder in is then attached to this pad using superglue to hold the sleeve in place. I have

locos converted in the 1980's from the early days of DCC and they are still running well on the same decoders so it works.

Going off down a branch line, I still have some of the old pint and black bags Phil, left over from IT management days. Boards,

ic's etc all used to come in the bags and yes foil wrapping was used for ic's, I still have ic's with a foil covered card bottom to the packing and a clear blister style window in which the ic sits. The good old days!

Archived