DCC Controller R8214

Jesmond-1244527

Hi,

I have a controller that all of a sudden just shows a dimmed display with horizontal lines only on top (similar to when you enter the mode of firmware update). I tried to upload the new firmware, but I always get error in elite comm!.

Tests I have carried out:

-Tested with another display - same faulty remained

-Checked for loose connections near U7 and U10 (even on the XTAL oscillator)

-Checked 5V supply on both U7 and U10 - OK

-Tested the Power supply with another controller - OK

I am able to program the PIC on its own, so if the code is available, please guide me to it.

Thanks

There is an Elite self test - hold the LOCO button as you power up the Elite. Release when you see the Hornby screen. Unit will go through a self-test including lighting every pixel on screen, then report if EE Pass or Fail. You can then press every button and twist each speed knob to get a response. Recovery from this mode is by power down and up again.

I would check the ribbon cable to the display is firm, although if you have already swapped out displays then this should be good.

The only code available is the firmware update downloadable from this site. The basic PIC code is not in the public domain, nor do I have access to it as a beta-tester under NDA.

Once an Elite is bricked from a failed firmware update the only recovery is to reload the firmware successfully. Comm port issues are common and usually mean you have a configuration error when setting up Update Mode. Check you Update sequence again.

There is an Elite self test - hold the LOCO button as you power up the Elite. Release when you see the Hornby screen. Unit will go through a self-test including lighting every pixel on screen, then report if EE Pass or Fail. You can then press every button and twist each speed knob to get a response. Recovery from this mode is by power down and up again.
I would check the ribbon cable to the display is firm, although if you have already swapped out displays then this should be good.
The only code available is the firmware update downloadable from this site. The basic PIC code is not in the public domain, nor do I have access to it as a beta-tester under NDA.
Once an Elite is bricked from a failed firmware update the only recovery is to reload the firmware successfully. Comm port issues are common and usually mean you have a configuration error when setting up Update Mode. Check you Update sequence again.

Hi, thanks for your reply. I tried the procedure, pressing the LOCO and power up, but the display remained the same (seems to be stuck in update mode). I tried to connect the other controller I have and updated the firmware successfully - Thus I eliminated the comm - USB port. The issue is that I am not able to upload the new firmware. Is there a way to force a firmware update?

Thanks

As stated the only way to unbrick it is to keep trying to load the update.

It may be the controller has a real comms problem and not just user config error.

I have an Elite that just would not talk to Railmaster properly and I spent ages fiddling with various settings before trying another controller which connected immediately on the same settings. When I went to box it up I found a label marked - Comms Errors. I had obviously been down that road before.

Check Device Manager is set to the correct baud rate, etc for the Elite and you could try another comm port if available.

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for your reply. I am sure the problem is the controller, since I have 2. One of them updated correctly from the laptop. On the other hand, the other one keeps giving comms error.

I thought maybe I can replace the comm PIC, but still the code is needed to be able to perform the appropriate function. I don't want to ruin the good one by swapping the PIC 18F2455, which is responsible for the comms procedure.

Thanks once again for your help.

I must admit other than to fix the Error button I have never looked in mine much. So from what you are saying there are two PICs one to do the comms and one to do the main DCC functions. Generally most micros talk RS232 over a serial port so I assume the second one converts the RS232 to usb, so it might be a bought in chip designed by FTDI that they just added to their circuit board. That is how I used to do it on my equipment I designed. So it may be worth googling FTDI devices.

@colin

There is the main CPU PIC converting button presses, etc into DCC output to the Track and Prog/Boost outputs and this comms PIC which as well as providing USB comms also provides Xpressnet comms through a Differential Bus Transceiver chip. I doubt it is off the shelf ready for that role and would thus need loading with Hornby bespoke code.

Ok 96RAF I don't know enough to argue. The Xpressnet last time I looked is basically a serial interface the diffential bus transceiver would just get it to the necessary voltage levels. So I suspect the main PIC generates the serial interface which then goes two ways, one into the other PIC that does the USB and the other to the differential Xpressnet. Hornby may have written their own code to generate the USB, the issue usually is with the windows driver software, that is why normally you use the FTDI device . The reason being that whenever there is a windows update you don't have to write a new .dll, all you do is get the latest one from FTDI which is free, rather than spending a software engineers time modifying your existing one. As I say I don't know enough about Hornby's implementation, but that is how everyone else does it.