Question for the Electronics experts! Re R8247 and relay

stevecamden

I want to use the pulse on the R8247 decoder to initiate a ( essentially push/on/off) switch SPNO

Do you think its OK to wire the two +12v outputs together so you have the common ( middle wire) and one wire from the decoder to activate a relay. So you

get pulse on/off?

I have inherited one of these new Dapol signals ( can I say Dapol on here) anyway - it has 2 wires that are just a push on/off circuit make to operate it. The other 'power' for the signal cmes from a 16vAC ( goodness knows why) source. It has a in-built

solenoid and looks quite nice, but I want to operate it from Railmaster using the R8249.

Confused? Well so am I ....

stevecamden said:

I want to use the pulse on the R8247 decoder to initiate a ( essentially push/on/off) switch SPNO
Do you think its OK to wire the two +12v outputs together so you have the common ( middle wire) and one wire from the decoder

to activate a relay. So you get pulse on/off?

Your idea would probably work OK but to be safe, I would fit diodes into the two feeds from the decoder to prevent feedback into from the "active" output back into the "inactive" output

Steve,

the main things to think about with the diode are the revers breakdown voltage and the forward current.

do be aware that the two decoder outputs are open collector. this means that they look like "switches" to the outside world. I always

forget if they are pull-down to gnd or up to 12V... Depending on circuit inside the signal it might be possible to connect them directly to the switch port on the signal.

if you use a relay then check the coil current (I = V/R) required and this will

tell you what you need for the diodes. I think you will also need to allow for the back emf voltage from teh relay coil as your diode will be in series with the internal decoder back emf protect.

Greg

I keep forgetting too! Its always a bit 'worrying' when you have two black boxes ( both quite expensive). I am all for 'experimenting' but not at the price of a decoder or a signal solenoid. Relays are two a penny ( literally).

I think

there is a need for a device that can be operated from Railmaster or the Elite that just gives a momentary close ( push switch) No power.

Steve

Archived