Class 43 No engine TTS sound after 10 seconds

David Pullman

Hi Looking for some help / advice from the forum.

I have a new Class 43 R3957 Farewell Tour engine and dummy car.

My system is DCC and as I like sound, have purchased Twin decoders R8120.

I am using Railmaster 1.74 to run and check CVs

Programming track is clean and works on all my other steam loco.

Unfortunately I have various issues.

Class 43 TTS are not listed in loco look up so I used R3138 as this looks similar i set DCC functions F0 to F24 by hand as per decoder instruction sheet.

Issues I can read CVs on one decoder but not the other does not read anything “Decoder Chip” CV7 “unable to read” although the unresponsive decoder does work on the main track producing sound.

On my TTS steam train F1 when pressed turns green and stops green, sound stops on, my class 43 F1 greys if pressed the sound starts up F1 never goes green then slowly sound dies away and after 10 seconds no engine sound, same on both decoders although whistle and horns work the lights F0, turn F0 green and stops green. Have a few other issues such as not responding to speed changes occasionally and being a little jerky from a slow start but the main issue is not being able to read one decoder so i can not alter CV1 decoder address and the sound does not stop on. Would be appreciate some help.

Thanks.

In the function description for F1 make sure you have on/off at the end.

What is happening is RM thinks it is a spot sound and turns it off shortly after you turn it on. That is normal to reset spot sounds for their next play.

Adding the suffix on/off tells RM that you will switch it on and off.

As the dummy car has no motor load it will not read-back reliably but you should still be able to write its short address to CV1.

If the loco is jerky try CV150 on value 1.