Running problems with Hornby TTS Princess

rugbyboys

Hi I have a DCC Sound Princess Arthur of Connaught which I have had a couple of years from new but have never really been happy with the performance, just can’t get it to run at a constant speed I have tried changing the Back EMF cut off point and the Motor algorithms but nothing seems to make any difference, so I am looking for some help and suggestions as to how I can improve things, many thanks in advance, best regards.

A little more info needed please rugby:

• R number for the loco?
  • Sound you say but TTS or something else, tell us which decoder?
  • which controller and what firmware revision?
  • when you say won’t run at a constant speed, do you mean if you leave the controller set it varies in speed over time?
  • at all speed settings, or only low speed, medium speed, high speed?
  • you say you’ve changed the algorithm, have you also adjusted the two related CVs for each (assuming TTS)? If so, have you researched the correct way to do this to optimize settings using PID logic (try a forum search, I’ve posted the correct method previously)?

Given what you’ve done so far, I suggest you write 8 to CV8 to get back to default before trying further.

Mods, assuming I’m correct re TTS, could you change title to Running Problems with Hornby TTS Princess.

Thanks fish man for the detailed response, however I got so fed up I replaced the TTS decoder for a brand new one and it is exactly the same so I am guessing that there must be some sort of motor problem, I have a Hornby elite controller but all other models from various manufacturers all run as they should, many thanks..

I would check the motor and remove any capacitors or chokes as they have been know to go south and damage a decoder. In theory they shouldn’t affect running a motor under DCC but it is worth a look. Some motors have them concealed under the motor.

If it is the earlier model with the movable pony truck the motors don't seem to be that good. Before you go down that route check the valve gear is working properly and not getting stuck and also that the main drive pinion on the centre axle hasn't got issues. I had one Duchess where one tooth on the pinion was slightly bigger than the rest causing the mechanism to slight jam every revolution. If you do have to change the motor I recommend the ones from "New Modellers", for some reason their ones seem better than the rest, although at the moment that do not have any stock.

Thanks guys will definitely look into this, just to prove the point I temporarily coupled the Princess tender with the replacement decoder in it to a different loco and it runs fine so the fault is definitely inside the loco somewhere, many thanks ..