wiring diagram for R2881

Dave1700

hi every one i am trying to find a wiring diagram for the R2881class 5 (Black 5) DCC Ready.

i have aquired this loco and some of the wires are out of the solder (just hanging around) and mostly black wires so makes it more difficult and the tender has a peg fitting to a hole coupling on the loco Help!!!!!

The tender has track pick ups by the looks of thingsjoy

Generally there are no wiring diagrams published for any loco but often the service sheet for the loco provides enough information as to where wires go, albeit Hornby universally wire up with black, as you say not helpful.

As regards the springy finger tender post connection, this diagram may help.

forum_image_62551aafbbfcf.png.8ce1d6938d145b1159f95241c2c50e8e.png

It may not be of great use to you because the loco and tender wiring is not illustrated at all well but it may give you some pointers - the Service Sheet covering R2881 is No. 347, accessible via the Support menu or the Useful Links sticky post at the top of the General Discussion section of the forum.

In essence, there are two wires in the tender connecting the pick-ups to the post and plate connectors at the front of the chassis. Wiring on the loco consists of two wires from the tender drawbar jaws and fingers plus two from the loco pick-ups as per 96RAF's diagram to the DCC socket and two wires from the DCC socket to the motor terminals - i.e. four input wires (2 pairs) and two output wires (1 pair) at the DCC socket.

As you say, Hornby using black for all wiring is far from helpful and a meter will assist in determining polarity of the wiring if you are unable to trace all of them visually.