Has the NRM had its day? !!

atom3624

Very delicate subject I know ...

It was Bank Holiday Monday yesterday, so I said to the wife on Sunday, let's all go to York tomorrow.

All were thrilled - a day out - it was wonderful as well.

I arrived at the NRM, and met, well, very limited enthusiasm, just 'another day at the office' was the impression I got.

There were no 'atmospheric sounds' or effects - surely possible and typical of modern presentations nowadays.

Miniature Railway - not pushed, and within the near-two hours I was present, nothing moved with no signs of activity.

Mallard activity - had to find someone to advise ... who then said there's a 2-hour wait ... erm, no!

The NRM is VERY SPECIAL, yet it's just not being marketed to the modern world.

With the Royal carriages, there could even have been some people dressed in period costume for example.

Food was perfectly edible, but sold by staff who appeared to have no interest in what they were selling with a 'just buy it and pay over there' attitude.

NONE of this you get on a full-on preserved railway - you feel part of the attraction and that you WANT to be there.

We had a mooch, then went on a river cruise, then wander around the Shambles, then returned home.

Exhibits are superb, but presentation .... wanting, a lot!!

Al.

I've not been to the NRM for some years but was well satisfied when I last went. Each to his own, of course, but personally I don't feel the need for sound effects, actors and the like in a museum (all of which cost money that might be spent on preserving the exhibits). As for the staff, it's a bonus when they are rail enthusiasts but I find it difficult to expect box office, cafeteria or other staff to be overly enthused about their jobs . Having said that, the security guy who summoned me out from under one of the more ancient carriages ( a very static exhibit, I hasten to say) was politeness itself and perfectly understanding when I explained that I was just photographing some of the underframe constructional features, and perfectly happy to let me crawl back whence I had come.

In my view (purely personal) a preserved line or open air working museum (eg Blists Hill or Black Country Museum) is a rather different kettle of fish from a formal museum. Actors and the like are indeed a beneficial addition to a working musem/heritage site but I question their relevance to a museum like the NRM.

I regularly go to NRM when I am on holiday near York. Admittedly it is not a Bank Holiday but generally there are demonstrations of the electric turntable and other things. The last two years have been a bit different for them because of Covid, but I can understand that. When I was there last year the miniature railway was running but there was nobody at Mallard. There again Mallard is staffed by volunteers so it is up to whether they have the staff around. The refreshments, yes they are not that good but again when I was there they try, in the carriage display the meals are expensive and generally something my son won't eat so I generally don't go there. Considering you don't have to pay to get in, although I always give them a generous donation, I think it is good value for money. There again myself and my son go to look at the trains and the memorabilia, I don't want the "Disney Experience". Actually last couple of times I went to Orlando Florida, I didn't get much of it there either, other than the parade.

Sorry Al - but I support threelink, SteveM6 and ColinB.

The last time I was there was a few years ago, when I organised a seminar for lawyers in the NRM's conference facilities - you hire a room, invite your guests and the NRM will also provide catering and drinks.

I arrived at the NRM about two hours before the seminar was due to commence, and was told I could go and look around the NRM - it was by then closed to the public. I had the place to myself, and I have to say it was a bit "spooky" wandering around on your own.

I went early this year after a two day course I was on finished early due to twelve delegates becoming four and having lots of time to wait through my having had to book on a specific train to get the cheapest deal through our work system.

It wasn’t as good as I remembered having been several times before but I suspect some items and exhibits had been removed due to COVID. However, the big room full of artefacts was one I hadn’t been in before and I enjoyed that. I also liked the diesel locos, I don’t remember there being any the last time I went. Overall it was a good visit and I would go again.

Bulleidboy, I have hired a lot of training venues in the past including the Manchester Museum of Science and Industry, the money gores to support them rather than some Corporate venue and they often give you full access to the facilities without the general public there. Again, a free museum with a lot of railway interest.

When I went to York with my school in the late 1970s one of the teachers got in trouble for climbing into the cab of a loco. That was a good day out with a ‘special’ from Bolton to York purely for our school. I think we also did the Cathedral, The Shambles, part of the walls and had a cruise on the river while we ate some pre-packed butties.

@RT

Ahhhh...school railway trips. I recall a trip to Woodham's Barry Dock scrap lines in or about 1966. What a day that was, clambering all over the lines of derelict locos. I still have a couple of souvenirs and only recently had to scrap the walking boots I was wearing at the time. I trod in a deep puddle of thick black oil cunningly hidden by a layer of ash and had to put the boots, liberally smeared with lard, in a plastic bag on the hot water boiler for a couple of weeks to soften the dried oil sufficiently get it off. The combination of oil and lard rendered the leather soft, supple, completely water proof and capable of taking a deep lustrous shine when polished so the boots lasted for decades.

Health and Safety? What Health and Safety?

In this time of Covid restrictions, staff off due to it and in some cases probably off because they can be. Those who turn up maybe working excess hours to cover staff shortages aren't happy let's face it, it was a bank holiday but not for them.

Hopefully things will get better in the future. It's not just NRM that's suffering.