Azuma DCC directional lighting problem

Mark-609742

My LNER Azuma dummy driving car directional lights stay on white irrespective of which direction the train is running. However they work perfect on DC, both red or white illuminate in the proper direction of travel. The motor driving car is fine.

I've reset the decoder, programmed both motor and dummy driving cars at the same time, even swapped the decoders over and the problem still remains with the dummy driving car! Am I missing something or is the PCB board in the dummy faulty?

Hi Mark, welcome to the forums. Others will give you info on setting up your user name and how to get the best from the forums (don’t use the blue button to reply!)

let me give you some info on using best titles to maximize your chances of good replies. For a first-timer, your title is pretty good, but you can do better. Every time you are tempted to write problem in a title - don’t, instead write what problem is. So for this thread, your best practice title would be - Azuma DCC Directional lighting not working in the dummy car.

Then some info that is usually helpful - what decoder and controller are you using?

However, in this instance, with the fault finding info you’ve given us, you’ve pretty much ruled out it’s being your decoder or it’s setup as you’ve swapped decoders and it’s made no difference. I’d also think it unlikely to be the controller.

You seem to have left us with only two possibilities:

• the first is the dummy car PCB as you mention. It’s a possibility even given it works on DC, but read on
  • what you are describing is exactly what you’d get plugging an 8-pin decoder in the wrong way around. While motor functions still work (irrelevant for your case), directional lighting doesn’t.

So can you double-check that you have pin 1 on the decoder plugged to position 1 on the socket. Both should be marked to indicate what they are.

If it’s plugged in correctly, it’s back to a possible PCB fault and I would be ringing Hornby Customer Care next. Ring rather than email.

I have this pack, specifically the 'celebrating Scotland' version.

I've yet to open it as it's been, shall we say, a very high spend on OO these last three months.

I'd appreciate you posting back with success, or otherwise.