0-4-0 T 3 Pole Loco’s conversion to DCC

Aussie Flyer

Hi folks, just purchased 3 sets for my grandson and myself and they all have the little small locomotives and wondering as we build our system can we convert these to DCC. I know the wires will be and issue in the small sizes but is it possible? TIA.

There are several guides for converting these small locos on the Hornby site but they all involve hard-wiring the decoder in. E.g. https://support.hornby.com/hc/en-gb/articles/360016345980-Train-Set-Standard-0-4-0

It is just as much effort to fit a socket for the decoder making maintenance later much easier. Room can be found for a four, six or eight pin socket.

Note that earlier models had the motor fitted with the brush contacts underneath making direct contact with the wheel pick up strips. Later models have the motor brush contacts on top linked by wires to the pick ups. Early models can have their motor simply inverted to match the newer models.

If following the guides they tell you to refit certain electrical components to the motor. These are not really required and can be left off.

Here is an example of an eight pin socket installed to one of these models.

forum_image_627e06bc96d6c.png.7a48deea32ea9bf0f5a48dc9d046be00.png

There are several guides for converting these small locos on the Hornby site but they all involve hard-wiring the decoder in. E.g. https://support.hornby.com/hc/en-gb/articles/360016345980-Train-Set-Standard-0-4-0
It is just as much effort to fit a socket for the decoder making maintenance later much easier. Room can be found for a four, six or eight pin socket.
Note that earlier models had the motor fitted with the brush contacts underneath making direct contact with the wheel pick up strips. Later models have the motor brush contacts on top linked by wires to the pick ups. Early models can have their motor simply inverted to match the newer models.
If following the guides they tell you to refit certain electrical components to the motor. These are not really required and can be left off.
Here is an example of an eight pin socket installed to one of these models.
forum_image_627e06bc96d6c.png.788b15025340492484cdc3abdd726831.png

Thanks very much 96RAF. I had a feeling there would be something somewhere. I appreciate the directions. Cheers.