Where to put IRJs

ModelerXYZ

Hi everyone.

I am planning a new layout, but i have a wiring conundrum.

forum_image_62ae2ed358756.png.de35a2f2e04b01ecd1d6d08f0cb8d39e.png

Red and yellow are controller sections. The problem is in the orange section.

Both Red and yellow controllers need operational access to the points.

A double pole double throw switch will switch the orange track between the 2 fed from the bottom of the picture. The Yellow controller will also be connected on the top yellow section so that it can control the branch line while red has the orange section.

Where do I need to put IRJs or don't I need them, as points will have to be switched to allow the loop to either the branch line or the red mainline as required.

Do I need a seperate feed to the Yellow section by the curved platform?

Thanks for any help offered,

XYZ

Hi XYZ

Personally I would not bother with IRJs as they could cause more issues than solve them if using Hornby points ( Are you a DC or DCC?

I would be more tempted to put a controller power feed on the branch line rather than at the station end.

The red controller would feed both the orange and lower yellow station lines, only when the point is thrown to the branch line the power is cut to both orange and yellow sidings

By putting a controller power feed onto the branch line both the orange and yellow station lines could be used to supply trains to the branch line, the branch line can be used on its own when the red controller is being used to access both the orange and yellow station lines

Hi Tony,

I need the functionality of being able to still move a train on the branch while a train is going through the orange section from the red controller. I am a DC man, I have tried both, but DCC isn't for me.

I have thought of a solution. I supply power with wired fishplates in the centre of the 2 sets of points. I switch that between controllers as required, and put IRJs only where orange meets yellow.

Does that sound ok?

Thanks.

XYZ

I use Peco electrofrog points so IRJs are a must. I tend to make an isolating section before each point on one of the tracks that feeds the point (so each branch of the point has an isolating section). I then power these isolating sections by a relay driven by the point switch. This way if the loco gets to a point that is switched to the other track, the loco stops automatically.

Hi XYZ

Like you I am a DC fan

You would be able to use the orange track via red controller and still use the branch line if you put a controller feed on to the branch line. Forget the fishplate feeds keep it simple

The point where the red track moves on to the orange via the toe end of the point 3rd point on righthand side this point would act a insulating switch. When the Red track point is switched to curve and the Orange point connected by the toe is switched straight the power from the red track would feed both the orange and yellow platforms. When the 3rd point is switched to the curve side to access the branch line power would flow to both Orange and Yellow platforms from the Branch line controller and the point would cut the power from the red track controller to both yellow and orange platforms

This is the advantage of using Hornby self Isolating points