On/off switches

Lairdy

Good evening,

I’m looking to add a couple of extra power connections to my layout to help maintain a constant current around the track.

Where I’m putting an extra connection is in a section Of track where I can isolate a train by using points. If I add a power supply I then can’t do this.

My thought is if I can add an on/off switch On the wires then I can turn the power off to that Power supply when needed.

Is this a good idea and any advice on what on/off switches that would suit this would be very appreciated.

It’s an analogue dc circuit.

forum_image_62b896aaddff3.thumb.png.cf86546c41d2baada5c7467e884a6d93.png

Cheers

Dave

Yes that is how I do it, you can break your layout into sections using isolated track joiners. What I also do is put an isolated piece of track in each point outlet driven by a relay, so that if the train approaches the point and it is not set to that track, the loco stops.

Yes that is how I do it, you can break your layout into sections using isolated track joiners. What I also do is put an isolated piece of track in each point outlet driven by a relay, so that if the train approaches the point and it is not set to that track, the loco stops.

Thanks Colin,

I would have put insulated track joiners in but I had already tacked the track down.

This thought came after!

any particular type of switch that is suitable?

Cheers

Dave

Just don't wire the on/off switch as you show it in your diagram, it WILL short circuit.

You will need to put the swich in one wire line only to break the circuit, not bridge both lines, as shown.

Even though track is laid down, isolation 'gaps' can be made using a Dremel tool, or similar, in order to wire the controller and sections in the more conventional manner.