Hornby class 153 back emf settings

Hipwell

Morning guys.

I recently picked up an old hornby class 153 and have just fitted a locksound decoder to it.

Does anybody have one of these and could share the back emf settings of cv 51 to 56 I can't get the thing running smoothly at all. I've tried the auto config using cv 54, this gets it in the ball park but not brilliant.

It runs OK on analogue. Not the smoothest of runner, but better than it does on dcc.

Regards

It's a loksound 5 from coastal.

It's starts and stops perfect with cv 51 and 52 on 0.

But say its going down the straight it almost looks as though somebody is apply the footbrake in a car for a mili second.

Cv 54 is on 54 and cv 55 is on 100.

Cv 53 is on 85

First off you need to service the loco any problems with running on DC will be amplified on DCC.

Could it be a tight spot on the gearing showing this footbrake effect? .

Turning CV 49 bit 0 to 0 turns off load compensation .if you still have a running issue this further highlights a mechanical issue with the loco.

You say there are no issues with starting and stopping

This appears to rule out the k and I settings controlling pid control.

Yeh she's running much better now after a good surface and a small capacitor installed

I don't think the motor or the gearing is a particularly great combo either.

I'll have a play with 116 to 119 to see if I can get it any better

Just for my curiosity:

Jupiter - CVs 116-119 - adjust in turn in ascending order? And if you end up in a mess, can always reset by writing 8 to CV8?

Hipwell - small capacitor installed - stay alive or RF suppression across the motor? If the latter, not needed? Or something else entirely?

• 3 weeks later...

Well for anybody else reading, i managed to get the bogie apart enough to get a couple of drops of oil onto the motor shaft behind the worm gear, and she's running perfect now in both directions.

Do these motors have proper ball bearings? Of is it just a shaft through a hole type affair? Which would explain how it's dried up.

Well for anybody else reading, i managed to get the bogie apart enough to get a couple of drops of oil onto the motor shaft behind the worm gear, and she's running perfect now in both directions.

Do these motors have proper ball bearings? Of is it just a shaft through a hole type affair? Which would explain how it's dried up.

Shaft and bushing is the norm .I don't know if they are oilite bushes .