A Dusty Box

JJ73

As some of you know I've just ordered the R30221 LMS Class 4F No.3924 Nothing wrong with that - along with the R3542 BR (Early) Class Q6 Loco No. 63427...When it arrived yesterday along with my other Loco - the top of the box was smuthered in dust - not very nice - it did say on the back on the box "Date Drawn 2014" - does that mean it has been sitting in some warehouse collecting dust for x amount of years? If so - Come on Hornby (I know that Hornby doesn't really read what goes on in THIER forum - even though they should!!!) - at least you could of 'dust it down' b4 send sending it out to me - wasn't too pleased of receiving a Loco in a dusty box - I hope that I'm not being too 'picky' & hope that I didn't get charged extra for the dust!!! πŸ˜€

Here is my 'dusty' review of my Q6 Loco so you can see for yourself :-

Thanks in advance πŸš‚

Oppps nearly forgot to ask :- Have any of you Lovely folk every bought something new or brand new & when you received it - was covered in dust? let me know please - thank you πŸ€”

It would appear whatever pride there is in their products, isn't unanimous throughout the company.

I totally agree, an effort to give the most pleasure to the forthcoming recipient - you in this case - should have been made, and that dust should certainly have been removed.

I suspect it may have sat on some shelving for a not inconsiderable period of time, perhaps even since a year or so after that drawing date - as this is typically the production date.

They certainly don't hesitate to increase the prices irrespective of how old the original manufacture date!

Al.

I thought the 30K series R numbers were recent so if it is old stock maybe it has been β€˜rebadged’ likely with a sticker over the old box number.

Edit - I miss-read the post. It was the older model that was dusty not the newer one.

Yes ColinB - I did buy the Q6 from the Hornby Outlet Store - a saving of Β£58.50 & I got the LMS Class 4F No. 43924 - The Railway Children Return - Era 3 from the normal Hornby Web site for Β£139.99 which I thought was cheap enough!!! πŸš‚

I assumed you must have got from Hornby JJ. I suspect their Outlet store is there to get rid of items that have been stuck on their shelves for ages, hence the dust. At least it hasn't got a dodgy motor, as the ones Sam of Sams Trains picks up cheap from Hattons. That is a big discount.

Might be true about thier Outlet store - you could be right about the dust!!! Yep I saw that episode with the large O Gauge 0-4-0 with the dodgy motor - yep lucky my Loco didn't have a dodgy Motor like Sam's did!!! πŸ˜‰πŸš‚

There is quite a lot of cut price stock about at present and sold nearer to what the price should be ie the true value for normal people and not millionaires. My purchasing is almost nil this year. No way am I paying extra for dust, I expect it free.ο»Ώlaughingο»Ώ

Yes VESPA I was wondering the same. Hornby increased their prices by 10% on 10% within a six month period, to me the second 10% pushed the price of all their locos way above their competitors. Whenever I mention that on this site I get told by certain individuals that they are good value for money and that is what it costs. The locos I have bought new this year have all been Bachmann ones, compared to Hornby's prices they look like discount land. I bought the class 90 and if you compare to a Hornby comparable model like the class 91, it actually has a pantograph that can be raised or lowered by DCC and is cheaper and with the sound option it is even cheaper than adding sound yourself. I did the same with the Bachmann class 47. Of course as I mentioned earlier in this thread all these rumors about cheap Hornby locos with dodgy motors doesn't help matters. Another manufacturer that seems to get things right is Dapol, their locos are reasonably priced, their latest steam locos have novel ways to fit DCC and their rolling stock is dirt cheap, By manufacturing in the UK they also pickup the souvenir trade, by making plank wagons for many preserved railways. Ok, they are not as detailed as a Bachmann but Β£15.00 verses Β£40, means I can buy twice as many. Funny I bought some Oxford Rail vans last week, again very cheap, but that is now owned by Hornby.

It is the time of year for discounts all the Retailers seem to be doing it. Also Hornby haven't had that many major releases lately so I suppose they need to shift some of their old stock to make money. I don't know if many people are like me but I preorder locos I really want so I pay a high price for the loco, but if it is a loco that has been out for a while I will search for the cheapest price.