CV settings

81F

I wish Hornby (or anyone) would produce a list of optimum CV settings for use with Hornby Decoders and each type of loco. Last time I looked on the net there was something listed for a few of the older blue box company locos with someone elses chip.

That would be a nice idea. I have come across a few that have been included in with a review of a decoder's installation.

But I guess its a personal thing, and will cause many a discussion on whats best for which loco etc, but would help to provide

a good starting point!

I think if you use Railmaster connected to your Elite to run your layout, you can select scale speed and this will utilise a set of custom speed cv's for your loco's?

I would guess that they just have stored a couple of throttle settings that run the corresponding model at "reasonable"shunt and cruise speeds.

Hopefully they leave all the CVs alone. If someone has tuned their CVs then it would be disappointing

to have them overwritten:-(

DCC decoders, Hornby and 'other makes' are supplied with default CV values. It would be nice to know if a table of ALL loco settings was available, but practically, is that reasonably attainable? Evey individual loco whould have it's own values! The fact

that the CV settings can be (easily) adjusted to the requirements of the operator is sufficient.

• 2 weeks later...
Blackbird said:

DCC decoders, Hornby and 'other makes' are supplied with default CV values. It would be nice to know if a table of ALL loco settings was available, but practically, is that reasonably attainable? Evey individual loco whould

have it's own values! The fact that the CV settings can be (easily) adjusted to the requirements of the operator is sufficient.

I agree, however it would be nice to have a starting point. Say something for an old ringfield, an X04, The newer

type motors etc. I'm mainly after values to give smoother running at lower speeds without the lurch that some locos give when slowing to a stop or pulling away.

the hornby 8249 decoder has limited CVs supported so sophisticated cv tuning isn't really an option. the 8245 gives many options for tweaking.... I do wonder sometimes whether you can reasonably use them all!

I have found that a common cause of

"lurching" is the back emf fighting with the motor/drive mechanism.

if you do have lurching it worth experimenting with EMF Feedback Cutout" - CV10. This CV is supported by the 8249 decoder.

Gregd99 said:

the hornby 8249 decoder has limited CVs supported so sophisticated cv tuning isn't really an option. the 8245 gives many options for tweaking.... I do wonder sometimes whether you can reasonably use them all!

I have found

that a common cause of "lurching" is the back emf fighting with the motor/drive mechanism.

if you do have lurching it worth experimenting with EMF Feedback Cutout" - CV10. This CV is supported by the 8249 decoder.

CV settings can be tweaked to suit locomotives, but as is true of many things in life, the more you spend, the better the end result!

The more expensive 'R8245 Sapphire decoder' is definately worth the money, there is so much more potential to adjust

the locomotives performance and behaviour. Especially if you are interested in 'double heading' different classes of steam locos.

Some models, such as a certain 'rival firms' models, require 2 settings for 'back EMF', this is (im my opinion) due to

the poor quality motor that they use.

I have found however, that all of the latest Hornby '5 pole motor locos' that I own, are superb runners even with the cheaper R8249 decoder. In these instances, the default settings work just fine.

The rival

'Blue Box' firm is not as good as it used to be. They may make a pretty model, but their models dont seem to have the same 'reliabilty and performance' (in my experience) that Hornby models have. Some people will disagree with me, but over the last few years,

I would say that hornby makes the better models, and you dont really need to alter any CV settings.

Archived