Flying Scotsman Ringfield tender wheel removal

pendeenpete

I want to remove the wheels on the tender to enable the gears to be removed. There are what appear to be clips at either end of the baseplate, whatever way I try prising them nothing seems to move! This is the last of the Margate tenders, and it doesn't seem to behave in the same way as others on YouTube for instance.

It has the tender trailing bogie held by a small circlip, I only managed to start deforming the plastic base plate, and then gave up. Very difficult for anyone to explain I know.

The metal ringfield motor block is held in the plastic tender chassis frame by horizontal lugs at the very bottom of the front and rear faces of the block. The chassis frame is released by inserting a broad bladed screwdriver between the front of the block and the frame and gently prising them apart to release the front lug. Lift the front end of the block out of the frame and this will release the rear lug.

The metal ringfield motor block is held in the plastic tender chassis frame by horizontal lugs at the very bottom of the front and rear faces of the block. The chassis frame is released by inserting a broad bladed screwdriver between the front of the block and the frame and gently prising them apart to release the front lug. Lift the front end of the block out of the frame and this will release the rear lug.

Thanks, can't get that out either, but that doesn't release the wheels does it ??

There seems to be a lot of confusion about removing the chassis from tender-drive locos. Mickhere had a query about an R380 School class.

For reassembly I always thought that you put the back end in first and the front end in last because the front end has a curve or slope on the lug that allows it to slide in easily, and that dismantling would be the reverse procedure, but some people say it's the other way round.

It would be interesting to know just how many different types of tender drive chassis there are and how to get them apart. I know that the Chinese-made tenders on locos such as A1s, A3s and A4s (and many others for all I know) can be a b*gger to get apart without chewing up the plastic underframe. Would be interested to know if there is a foolproof way of doing it.

Don't touch that small circlip, which is probably a star washer. The only safe way to get those off is by cutting. The axle just clips in. To get the motor out, I use a thin bladed screwdriver at the back. When I converted mine to DCC I put the socket at the back there is just enough room. With a socket it means you can remove the decoder when decide to take it apart. Funny I sold my DCC converted motors on EBay as I found a way to put the later chassis in the loco body, I was surprised not many people were that interested.