Extra controller?

HalNorthDevo

I've got the Hornby Elite Dual controller which is great. However, as I am getting older and a bit more confused about things, I'm finding it difficult to control more than 2 engines, just because I press the wrong button at the wrong time. I would love to be able to have a dedicated controller for each engine I wish to run, but can't see that this is possible? Any help, advice, or pointing in right direction, would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

You can add on extra Select controllers as Walkabouts using a special cable. This is the only way you can do it with the Elite.

Also be aware that if you have called up several locos in a running session you can have up to ten active on each control knob of the Elite which are quickly accessed by using the ESC button to scroll through the list.

You can designate locos as favourites on the Elite which can also be readily accessed.

If you are PC happy then you can install RM and use up to 2 controllers, one for trains and one on a separate bus for accessories, BUT you can also connect handheld devices like phones as additional handsets. Locos in RM are controlled from the screen so you have all your throttles lined up at the side of the screen ready to hand.

You can add on extra Select controllers as Walkabouts using a special cable. This is the only way you can do it with the Elite.
Also be aware that if you have called up several locos in a running session you can have up to ten active on each control knob of the Elite which are quickly accessed by using the ESC button to scroll through the list.
You can designate locos as favourites on the Elite which can also be readily accessed.
If you are PC happy then you can install RM and use up to 2 controllers, one for trains and one on a separate bus for accessories, BUT you can also connect handheld devices like phones as additional handsets. Locos in RM are controlled from the screen so you have all your throttles lined up at the side of the screen ready to hand.

Thank You. I didn't understand about using the ESC button to scroll, so I will have a practice. Otherwise I'm in trouble, as I would likely crash the World Wide Web if I tried a PC!!

Ignore the blue button when replying and do not keep pressing the submit button else your reply gets lost in the quote and we get to see your reply many times. You can use the three dots context menu to delete the duplicates and edit your post. Good luck with that.

You got as far as this forum on a PC without blowing up the planet.

Download the demo version of RM and have a play. You get 3 months to run a couple of locos and some points.

Don’t be too quick to assume the planet is safe Rob. There may be a delay programmed in, or it may initiate when RM is started!

Crossed fingers may yet be prudent.

PS. Slightly counter-productive but wouldn’t it be good if the forum implodes the next time someone touches the blue button!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to everyone. Much appreciated. Sorry about the mess I made of the thread! (What does the blue button do?). I think I need to practice more with what I have got, as buying in extra controllers is expensive! If you hear a load explosion coming from North Devon, you will know why! Thanks again.

The blue button simply requotes the whole post and usually prevents the responder getting out of the quoted area so their response is lost in the dross. Coupled to that if the post has images then even a simple text reply will be sent for approval by moderators before the post appears.

The best way if you need to quote a post is to use the three dot context menu and select quoted reply or just reply. A quote can then be edited if necessary before posting.

The simplest way to reply is by scrolling down the page, typing into the reply box and using the green button.

One day we will get rid of the blue button but don’t hold your breath.