My collection so far.

SD45elect2000

Hi randall
Good choice to get a Warmwell aircraft! As you know, because you've read the book, 402 was a Canadian squadron, based at Warmwell between November 1941 and March 1942. Main claim to fame appears to be that they were rushed to Manston to be involved in the failed attempt to hit the German warships involved in 'The Channel Dash'.
And of course the AE-* Hurricane IIBs of 302 Squadron were handed over to 175 Squadron and given the code letters HH-* which is what I shall be building. What a small world!

I haven't actually gotten the book yet. I ordered it last week but be certain that when I do get it I will promptly get into it.

Randall

• 2 weeks later...

Nicely finished. Well done.

Once you get used to the unusual shape, it’s good to have an example in the collection. It was a very important aircraft in the evolution of the RAF.

Did you have references for the markings? I ask because the fuselage and wing roundel types are rarely seen at the same time on an aircraft.

Nicely finished. Well done.
Once you get used to the unusual shape, it’s good to have an example in the collection. It was a very important aircraft in the evolution of the RAF.
Did you have references for the markings? I ask because the fuselage and wing roundel types are rarely seen at the same time on an aircraft.

Thanks Dominic,

I have three more of these kits to build so this type will be well represented.

as far as the markings , I just followed the kit instructions ,however, it would not be difficult to change the wing rounders if I find that the kit instructions were wrong. So far I have not found photos of the aircraft.

Randall

Hi Randall

Very nice work on the Wellesley… another model to the standard we have become used to from you!

The Wellesley was certainly different looking with its very high aspect ratio wing. The long range development flight modified Wellesleys made the record breaking flight from Egypt to Darwin Australia (7162 miles) no stop in 40 plus hours in 1938!

As far as the markings go, I think that you are spot on using the kit markings as presented (unless you have a conflicting source). Hard to find pictures of these aircraft. I don’t have the War Paint book on this aircraft (yet).

I did check a reference, “RAF Bomber Command and its aircraft 1936-1940” by Goulding & Moyes. It appears that the aircraft were delivered with the 4 colour Type A.1 roundels but these were changed to the smaller Type B red/blue roundels on wings and fuselage and squadron & aircraft codes were painted on in grey during/after the Munich Crisis. So maybe this aircraft was in the process of this change when a picture was taken??

Tim

Hi Randall
Very nice work on the Wellesley… another model to the standard we have become used to from you!
The Wellesley was certainly different looking with its very high aspect ratio wing. The long range development flight modified Wellesleys made the record breaking flight from Egypt to Darwin Australia (7162 miles) no stop in 40 plus hours in 1938!

As far as the markings go, I think that you are spot on using the kit markings as presented (unless you have a conflicting source). Hard to find pictures of these aircraft. I don’t have the War Paint book on this aircraft (yet).
I did check a reference, “RAF Bomber Command and its aircraft 1936-1940” by Goulding & Moyes. It appears that the aircraft were delivered with the 4 colour Type A.1 roundels but these were changed to the smaller Type B red/blue roundels on wings and fuselage and squadron & aircraft codes were painted on in grey during/after the Munich Crisis. So maybe this aircraft was in the process of this change when a picture was taken??
Tim

Thank you Tim !

I think that until I find a photo that conflicts with the current configuration of my model it will stay as it is. As I said, I wouldn’t be a horrible job to change the wing roundels. There are no roundels on the wing undersides, only the large serial numbers.

Thanks for giving me another reference book to look for !

Randall

• 2 weeks later...

I like your Hurribomber very much! Mine is almost finished, but I think I had to do a bit more to mine than you did to get your version looking so good. For example, the old Airfix kit that I'm building had no gun ports moulded, and certainly no cannon - all of which I've added. Just the canopy to do and a bit of tidying up, then I'll post my Warwell IIB.

And I also like your Desert camouflage version - the SAAF orange colour is quite distinctive.

I like your Hurribomber very much! Mine is almost finished, but I think I had to do a bit more to mine than you did to get your version looking so good. For example, the old Airfix kit that I'm building had no gun ports moulded, and certainly no cannon - all of which I've added. Just the canopy to do and a bit of tidying up, then I'll post my Warwell IIB.
And I also like your Desert camouflage version - the SAAF orange colour is quite distinctive.

I'm glad you like it; I am looking forward to seeing yours!!!

Randall

I find the contributors on this site provide interesting and thought-provoking comments. So much so that I wanted to make a comment on the roundel tropic.

At a time of frequent change of national markings on aircraft (pre WWII), the Goulding & Moyes work is one of the go-to summaries of official directives on the subject.

While I concede that in changing markings, there must be a time when a hybrid situation exists.

However, my attitude is that unless there is photographic evidence of existence of a hybrid, then the official requirement is the default. I tend not to trust the kit manufacturer without evidence.

Now this is just a personal view but I wanted to record it. It’s probably just as well we don’t all have the same approach. That’s what makes our hobby fascinating.