using DCC to control colour light signals

DMU mad

Hi everyone,

I am building a new layout and i am using a Select DCC controller. I would like to have colour light signals, and i need to know what i need to buy and how to wire everything up, but i'm getting very confused!

Any help appreciated

Hi

You will need to set the output of the R8247 accessory decoder output used to feed the colour light signal to Continuous and then connect your Hornby R406 to the one set of three terminal output ports that you have set to continuous.

Connect the

signals Green wire to the 'C' terminal. The Red and Black wires to the decoders '+' and '-' terminals of that same group of terminals.

I am unsure if the Select can alter the R8247 outputs from the supplied Pulse to Continuous as required? You may need

a better and more up market DCC system to do this?

Further to the above...

I can now confirm that the Hornby Select is not able to alter the R8247 accessory decoders outputs from Pulse to Continuous.

Only the Elite or any other DCC system capable of altering CVs can do this!

You could

use a R8249 loco decoder and connect its red and black wires to the rails or DCC bus pair (If you use a DCC bus).

Set its address to a number between 1 to 59 (Selects range of addresses) and then connect the R406 signal.... Signals Green wire to the decoders

Blue wire. The signals red wire to the decoders White wire and the Signals Black wire to the decoders Yellow wire. Note: All other wires on the decoder are not used for this operation.

Then set the decoders address on the Select and press 'F0' (lights

on/off function) this will allow the signal to be lit. Then still with the decoders address set, alter the direction of travel will change the aspect between Red and Green.

To be honest I have to ask is it really worth the hassle? A simple On/On change-over

switch or the Hornby R046 lever and suitable power feed is all that's required!

DMU mad said:

Hi everyone,

I am building a new layout and i am using a Select DCC controller. I would like to have colour light signals, and i need to know what i need to buy and how to wire everything up, but i'm getting very confused!

Any help appreciated

Hi DMU, I have asked hundreds of questions in my planning for a DCC layout, and I am soon to embark on my shopping trip. Click on my name and you will see the posts - one or two of them may help. I have been persuaded

to buy an Elite and use my Select as a walkabout controller. Best price I can find for the Elite is Hattons @ £169. Good luck with your layout.

Ian

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 years later...

Hi everyone I have purchased hornby point and accessories decoder connected it to my. Dcc layout then went into railmaster on my elink to program it connected hornby coloured ligh signal to output 1 but red light does not stay constant red it just flashes on and off when I try to change it to a green light it just does 1 quick flash of green then goes back to flashing red I am also going to connect hornby point motors as well can anyone advise me if I am doing something wrong and tell my how to rectify the situation 

kind Regards 

kev (Beighton Parkway)

You have the pad output set to pulse instead of constant as told by Flashbang earlier. Hence it flashes only once.

You do need pulse set for the solenoid points as these will burn out if set to constant.

If you have the Rev 2 PAD then you may have put it into one of the special modes which allows you to set pulse duration and number of times so as to make a periodic flashing lamp.

Kevin,

Read Page 73 of the RailMaster manual. On that page you will find the image reproduced below. Note the yellow highlighted area to right. Check the box relative to the port to which you have connected your signal to make that port 'Always On'.

Remember that you will need to temporarily disconnect the TRACK A&B input of the R8247 from the eLink DCC track feed and wire it temporarily directly to the eLink PROG A&B output. Once the configuration change has been saved to the R8247, then re-instate the wiring as before.

This image is for the original R8247, not the REV2 version.

/media/tinymce_upload/cb99ddee5888a39aa30f679a0a5fa169.jpg

If you have a REV 2 R8247 then 'pull down' the Accessory Decoder list to see if a REV 2 R8247 is listed. Then look for a similar configuration option to that shown above.