A quick fix for the Hush-Hush (British Enterprise R3841)

JJ73

Hiya

If you are finding that it is falling over all the time - that is b/c the screws on the 'Draw-bar' between the Loco & Tender are too tight - to fix this - choose 1 of the screws & unscrew it about half way - see photos below...

forum_image_6343806961039.thumb.png.c5d16008a669719b3abe57399fd1a345.png

forum_image_6343806dc7ad9.thumb.png.9db501f02189cd1c3db31664abe82774.png

You may have to 'experiment' a bit to see what is best for you - but this should stop the Tender from making the Loco fall over!!! Your Hush-Hush should now run smoothly!!! 🙂🚂

That is interesting. I must admit I have bigger issues with the front bogie not having enough travel. Yes it has travel, must not enough to put it higher than the front driving wheels. I suspect they fixed this on later versions as my "rebuilt" one doesn't have the same issue. On a lot of my other Hornby locos I have replaced that screw you are referring to, to one that has a longer stepped part. You can buy them off EBay "Stainless Stepped Screws", they are bit expensive and come from China but work perfectly.

That is interesting. I must admit I have bigger issues with the front bogie not having enough travel. Yes it has travel, must not enough to put it higher than the front driving wheels. I suspect they fixed this on later versions as my "rebuilt" one doesn't have the same issue. On a lot of my other Hornby locos I have replaced that screw you are referring to, to one that has a longer stepped part. You can buy them off EBay "Stainless Stepped Screws", they are bit expensive and come from China but work perfectly.

The first thing to observe is is the 'step' on the step screw long enough to more than cover the thickness of the drawbar? If the answer is YES, then it's probable that the screw has been loosened and incorrectly tightened, pinching the drawbar. I have experienced this when adjusting many Hornby locomotives similarly attached - whether 'operational' where the longer spacing is required, or 'on display' where I like them nice and close.

Another consideration, agreed I don't have a Silent One, could be that the locomotive may have been mishandled, and the drawbar bent slightly.

I accept it could be correct, but I would find it unusual that Hornby have made an incorrect selection of screw.

Al.

A loose screw will soon become a lost screw. Keep a torch and magnet handy to go round the layout to find it later after your loco has dragged the tender round by its wires for a few days before pulling them apart.

Funny you should say that Raf - but that already happen & that is how I discovered this 'Hack' - I did manage to find the 'lost screw' - it was just a few metres behind the Loco between the track, & I did try it without the drawbar & just using the wire - but it did wobble a bit still!!! 😉🚂

Well seeing as they couldn't get the front bogie right on the very first versions, getting the selection of a stepped screw wrong seems not so impossible. One of the issues with Hornby is they don't seem to understand production tolerance, so on some locos that drawbar might be slightly thicker making it a tight fit. I have noticed on a lot of their locos where I replace the drawbar for a newer type I get that issue. On virtually all the locos the stepped part is not long enough, not allowing enough travel if you have slightly uneven track. My new Evening Star seems ok but then they have had enough time between that and the Hush Hush to get it right.

If you do find a need to loosen the screw, then a little touch of blue 'medium / mild' threadlock will hold the screw in place - but it will routinely require regular review to ensure has not loosened further - or fallen out.

There are loads of step screw options, which could well be a necessary consideration.

Al.

A cheap alternative to stepped screws is a length of tube of the right diameter slipped over the screw. This allows the screw to be tightened down onto the tube. Apart from brass and copper tube I save empty biro ink tubes, cotton bud stalks (they are tubular) and all sorts of other tubing. It's always useful even if only for a temporary quick fix - a surprising number of which turn out to be permanent.