Duchess Class 46241 "City Of Edinburgh"

koo9

koo9 said:

Does anyone here have a Hornby fitted, sound decoder in this model? Thanks

Hi
I'm having to guess... You already own the loco and want to fit a sound decoder?
Or do you mean you want a loco with sounds already

fitted??

If its the first, then you will need to obtain a sound decoder.
Hornby do not make these. Hornby use ESU LokSound decoder in all their sound fitted DCC loco. Version 4.0 ones. If your loco is DCC Ready (Has a DCC socket fitted) then you'll

need the correct type of decoder plug to match the socket - 8 pin or 21 pin. But if its not DCC Ready then you will need to 'hard wire' the decoder and its speaker in place. Then its normal to use an 8 pin decoder and cut off the 8 pin plug and joint the wires

by making soldered joints to the internal locos wiring and existing connections.

In the UK sound decoders already blown with the appropriate locos sounds are sold by several suppliers.. Google... Howes of Oxford, South West Digital and Olivia's Trains

for the main three suppliers.

Hi

Not a problem :-)

But if you don't state your question/s no one will be able to answer them!

AFAIK there is no Hornby sound fitted (DCC On Board with sound) loco in this range. Just the DCC Ready R3111 version. https://www.hornby.com/shop/locomotives/steam-locomotives/r3111-br-4-6-2-city-of-edinburgh-princess-coronation-class-br-blue/

Which is what your initial post seemed to me to be asking ..... "Does anyone here have a Hornby fitted, sound decoder in this model?"

koo9 said:

Thanks for that infomation. That muddies the water completely and I am back to square one, so will have a re-think, it is not what the service sheet shows. Regards

|Hi
Hmm.. Now I'm confused (easily done though!).

You're referring to service sheet HSS342? Which I believe is for loco R2782xs ? This is a Duchess class loco - City of Sheffield.
I don't think Hornby have released any others with sound fitted in the same class?? But stand to be corrected.

Sorry for the confusion, not intended to be so. I have too many irons in the fire at the moment, others are more priority. The problem is that Hornby provide a sound-fitted loco exploded diagram for two models which are supposed to be of the same loco.

I have the DCC-fitted model, plugging a decoder inside is a ten minute job. However, the tender has all the parts, some wiring, removable metal speaker frame etc, to make it a complete sound loco. I have all the parts here and have a few questions in order

to follow the Hornby cable routing for example (which is suggested not to be an option)but is shown in the diagram. Without that info I will do my own thing and hope that I avoid any pitfalls in the process.

According to Hornby Magazine this loco has the older style 8 pin socket in the loco body, not in the tender. This is quite surprising as the other new Duchesses all have the newer tender fitting. Is the magazine wrong? If it is right then adding a sound

decoder is going to be somewhat more tricky, but not impossible.

Flashbang said:

koo9 said:

Thanks for that infomation. That muddies the water completely and I am back to square one, so will have a re-think, it is not what the service sheet shows. Regards
|Hi
Hmm.. Now I'm confused (easily

done though!). You're referring to service sheet HSS342? Which I believe is for loco R2782xs ? This is a Duchess class loco - City of Sheffield.
I don't think Hornby have released any others with sound fitted in the same class?? But stand to be corrected.

Well this is different then, my example, in blue, has space for a 4 pin hornby socket x9959 with a mini PCB attached and fits into X6113 perfectly. Also a substantial metal casting screwed to the chassis of the tender holds a cast metal speaker holder.

Maybe they were getting ready for the Games and forgot what they were building.

Flashbang said:

Hi koo9
So as we are all 'singing from the same sheet' so to speak, what is your locos Rxxx number and its service sheet number?

R3111 and I think someone is playing tricks here. There are now two service

sheets with the same No. 4/1261B on this site but one I printed off two days ago,dated Feb 2009, is a different format but has the same information. And the two now on this site have no dates.

koo9 said:

R3111 and I think someone is playing tricks here. There are now two service sheets with the same No. 4/1261B on this site but one I printed off two days ago,dated Feb 2009, is a different format but has the same information. And

the two now on this site have no dates.

No wonder we were all confused. Please let us know how you get on with customer service; I have found them to be very helpful. Watching with interest as (thanks to you Koo) R3111 is right at the top of

my wish list.

Archived