Double Heading Lion and Rocket

What About The Bee

I've successfully double headed Lion (R30232) and Rocket (R3956).

On Lion's front buffer beam is a decorative chain, with hook. It turns out that the hook is perfectly sized for Rocket's finescale coupling peg on its tender.

Rocket runs slightly faster than Lion, so the small chain is always in tension.

Here, with a rake of 15 pieces of rolling stock!

lickable link. None of them work. I'm using Chrome as well as Android Browser. Spaces, copying addresses from the browser, none of that works. Perhaps the forum simply needs a hyperlink format button, like the bold & italics buttons

edit 2:

I needed a reason to Double Head. It would not do to double head for three carriages. In doing so, it hurt to mix the rolling stock. The Royal Mail carriage would never have been associated with freight and the intermixing of class was prototypically wrong. Yet the under carriage on all is the same for Hornby rolling stock which consistent with the LMR.

I have intentions to expand the fleet and have several sets on order.

Rainhill Trials, The Wagons , are the first class. These are pre-LMR, just as the dynamometer pictured in my avatar. Hornby has these wagons as R60164, but misidentifies them as coal wagons. [Thanks Ellecoloco, the link appears to work!]

The LMR actually had intermodal coal wagons, for which we have detailed mechanical drawings. There is also engraving evidence of chaldrons for coal. The wagons Hornby have produced are neither. Now you know better!

First Class & Royal Mail would not have mixed with 2nd &3rd, no matter what the museums run and freight was an entity onto itself.

I know the feeling.

Unusual for a Bachmann to derail - normally its the Hornby locomotives over the points.

My Jubilee's a slower but solid performer.

At that magnification, I wasn't certain if it was a Jub or 5, so kept the comment more vague - thanks for clarifying. Hope the issue was sorted.

Sometimes I've found it's brake rigging that's become detached.

Al.

Here, I will show the method I used to double head Rocket and Lion.

forum_image_63ac9d3573da1.thumb.png.08a082219c0b96e3a97b0cfada1231f2.png

The peg on Rocket's Tender (R3956) is shown, as well as the hook on Lion's front buffer.

forum_image_63ac9d390b1ed.thumb.png.8108dfcfc6f9bdf56bf63545dc856d8f.png

Bring the locomotives close together, such that the chain and hook can reach Rocket's peg.

forum_image_63ac9d3d310c1.thumb.png.79473281fb73986da597b8c809cd17bb.png

Engage the hook with a pointed instrument. I used a fine Torx screwdriver, but a bamboo skewer or toothpick would also function well. Place the tip of the tool on the peg.

forum_image_63ac9d410c3e9.thumb.png.fd37ef942a396a4312756abf2612ecfc.png

Elevate the tool, drop the hook onto the peg. Gently lift the tool away.

forum_image_63ac9d44923c9.thumb.png.e759664edd818a851dd913b190425992.png

Viola!

I've actually had my Kolhapur in the sidings for the last few weeks - in the garage, and the very cold snap.

This recent conversation prompted me to put her on the rails - and she squealed away!! Pulled her apart and odd dabs of oil here and there and beautifully smooth runner again.

One thing I noticed with the Jubilee - it has a small spring which presses the front bogie onto the track - does yours have this?

Also, just above the bogie, is the front body mounting screw - this could possibly be partially displaced, restricting the bogie movement.

Just a couple of thoughts - lovely model, great when LMS fettled them correctly real locomotive.

Al.

... and probably good luck keeping it there!

Here is a good reason why it will stay in place, and did so for multiple circuits of my super poor track.

forum_image_63addd8a94cf6.thumb.png.e99a68ee864f982f6d84063463a130f9.png

For all height measurements, the reference surface are the ties.

On the left, observe Lion's buffer beam. The centerline height of the chain fixing is slightly less than 15.5 mm, but I will use that number.

On the right, the top of the peg on Rocket's tender is 16mm, with the bottom of the peg slightly more than 14.5mm.

So the chain centerline (15.5mm) to the top of the peg (16mm) is 0.5mm!

The locomotives, when coupled, are 10mm apart.

From trigonometry, we know the angle is found from the arctangent(rise/run) = arctan(0.5/10) = 2.86° UP

So when Rocket pulls Lion, the hook is urged downwards onto the peg by the vertical component of the angle force.

If the hook should happen to be all the way down onto the peg, the hook will be urged upwards by that same vertical component force, but resisted by the friction of the hook on the post.

If friction is ignored, then the hook should ride about 0.5 mm from the top of the post.

Bee

There was a request, on youTube, to show that Rocket is really pulling Lion and the consist along and that Lion was not pushing Rocket. That's included!

To mix things up a bit, I had the locomotives pull 9 Accurascale chaldrons. The chaldrons do not use pin point bearings and exert quite a bit more resistive force. Lion can be made to wheel slip when pulling this load.

The chaldrons use Accurascale's magnetic couplings, while Hornby uses a fine scale peg and chain. The adapter here is an improvement over previous adapters. If anything, I will go for a finer wire next time, 0.025" was too big for totally free movement. The wire could move on the peg, but smaller would be better

forum_image_63b1b8b40e078.thumb.png.de931db990cc68732407bb0735ab6e93.png

Bee

• Thanks 1