Tender to draw bar connections

johnny wilko

I'm sure this has come up previously but cannot find discussion. I have a few tender drives which often have problems with electrical continuity to the engine pickups. I have hard wired them with some success but would prefer to have a solution where the two are easily detachable. Has anyone come across an easy upgrade?

A couple of things to consider:

1. Colour coded wires make sense, but look terrible - all black is best 'compromise'.
  2. Options include heavier duty wires, which make sense, except if you have a twisty layout, you'll probably be re-railing the tender quite a lot.

Just something to think about.

Al.

Over the short distance between the loco and the tender the gauge of wire used is going to make very little difference to the voltage drop between the loco and the tender. There will probably be bigger voltage losses between the wheels and wheel contacts in the loco and tender. Better to use thinner, less obtrusive and more flexible wires.

If you are using JST connectors it is probably best to stick with the pre-wired versions so you may be stuck with black and red wires anyway - unless anyone has found some with all black wires.