Oxford Rail quality

ShredderLive

I'm curious to know if Oxford Rail locos are worth getting.

I've seen them before in my local model shop, and have been tempted to buy a new Adams Radial from their range since Hornby don't do them anymore.

But are the quality control issues and mechanical failures that plagued them still there, or has that been changed with Hornby's acquisition of them?

I can find plenty of posts on YouTube and other forums highlighting design flaws with the rear bogie, mechanical issues that meant they were underpowered, and numerous cases of motors burning out. The mechanical issues also seemed to be present with their J26 and Dean Goods. Which put me off upgrading my old Mainline one.

But I can't really find anything recent to say that there's some good ones, or their quality control has gone up now that Hornby have started selling them directly as well.

The guy that runs my local model shop also told me that there was about a 50% return ratio on Oxford locos he sold whenever he got them in.

And this was almost always due to mechanical failures. But he's also not had any in stock for nearly a year.

So how do I tell if I'm buying something decent, or these are just lemons from Oxford's remaining stock?

Or is my best bet to just look for a second hand Adams Radial?

Thanks.

I've a number of Oxford Rail locos—an Adams Radial from the first batch, one from a later batch I obtained secondhand, a Dean Goods with DCC sound, and two N7s. I was put off the J27 by the reported issues with pick-ups; I didn't think the (very similar) J26 had been issued yet.

The only one of these that has given any trouble is the first Adams Radial (30582). Occasionally it appears that the bogies lift the driving wheels off the track, causing the wheels to spin rather than moving the loco. The other one —30584 in BR early crest livery, from a later batch — is fine. The sound on the Dean Goods is on the quiet side and it isn't as good a runner as, say, the Bachmann Caley 0-6-0. The N7s I have have both been excellent runners.

I cannot comment on the Oxford Rail Adams, but do have an early (R3333) Hornby 30584 version - bought in 2016. Some of the early versions had the decoder socket incorrectly wired (mine did), but any who had this problem will by now have had that problem rectified. It's a nice looking loco, but mine will not run well with the body on. It is fitted with a TCS DP2X-UK decoder (as are many of my loco's) - this is a direct fit decoder with no harness and plug. I'm sure many have the loco and they are perfect, but sadly mine is not. With the body off, it is a brilliant runner - on the rolling road I can get the slow running down to 2rpm.

I really ought to send it back - I have explored all problem possibilities. I think if you were to buy one, try and see it running before purchase.

To add to the D9020 Nimbus comment about the bogies lifting the driving wheels, the rear bogie has a stud on the top of the bogie which fits in a slot in the body under the coal bunker, it is very easy when placing the loco on the track to have this stud not fit in the slot, which causes the loco to free wheel like a truck or coach when pushed.

I have an Oxford Radial Tank. It is a fantastic looking loco and its slow speed control is superb, down to less than a scale walking pace when running light. HOWEVER, it is grossly underpowered and has trouble, (sometimes can't manage), handling three modern coaches with free running wheels around a 90 degree bend made up of second radius curves. I have a 1963 Tri-ang clockwork Dockmaster tank engine which does better.