BE.2c mystery part

null_null981707818191

I'm currently working on the BE.2c, and I've a discovered a mystery part which is not mentioned anywhere in the instructions. It's labelled on the sprue as part A11 and I suspect that it's meant to be a plate camera which - if my suspicion is correct - would be affixed on the outside of the fuselage, however there are no fixing points on the outside, but bizarrely, there are two of exactly the correct size on the inside of the cockpit (also illustrated on the instructions). If it is meant to be a camera, I guess I could simply drill through to provide fixing location points on the outside of the fuselage?

forum_image_63cea6c0774c4.thumb.png.ef857323b1feddf15ff28fff0027b7b7.png

I've included a picture which shows the very tiny mystery part as clearly as I can photograph it (placed on the instructions, just underneath the circle which reads C04) - you can also see the illustrated locating points on the diagram on the inside of the cockpit (underneath the top of the two arrows). Any suggestions or answers to this conundrum gratefully received!

And for a very recent moulding, it's a bit disappointing to have to fill in the ejector pin marks, two of which (on each side) would be visible even with the fuselage closed up... Still nothing that a bit of filler won't cure!

forum_image_63cea6c305bab.png.8855b98cc1a2380b0ed4750f12460219.png

Bye for now!

I did a Google search for BE.2c Camera position and found a whole pile of photos showing cameras attached to the outside of cockpits of WWI aircraft. I think you are on the right track.

I also looked through my kit of the BE.2c and couldn't find any reference to the part.

Which release of the kit do you have? I know there are 2 or 3 releases. I ask because I wonder if one version is meant to have the camera attached and one isn’t.

it wouldn’t be the first time Airfix have released parts in a kit that are not meant for the decal options of the release, and it’s simpler to keep them in the kit rather than remove them. Do the markings plans at the end of the instructions show a camera?

This plane entered service in 1912 and the BE2c was in action in 1915 - very early in the development of the aeroplane as a weapon of war. Design was still a matter of experimentation. Look at the DH2, an aircraft with no fuselage!

Due to various design limitations, the BE2 had the pilot in the rear cockpit and the observer in the front, but because of limited view [wings, struts] the pilot had to operate the camera in the reconnaissance role, not the observer. There are reports of the observer just being there for ballast, depending on the sortie objective. Even defensive fire was restricted as the observer only had the potential to fire back over the pilot’s head when a gun was carried.

Hope this helps.

Hi Dominic and Grumpy - and thanks for your valuable input, ideas and advice. I totally concur with the view that it was intended to be mounted on the outside of the aircraft - and next to the pilot would indeed be accurate (as explained by Dominic in his post mentioning 'design limitations'). In this iteration (as a reconnaissance machine) it's hardly surprising it became 'Fokker Fodder'.

The kit version that I'm using has schemes for Leefe Robinson's Zeppelin-downing night 'fighter', and an RNAS version based in Scotland - so neither of them would have had the camera fitted.

As I want mine to reflect the use of this aircraft on the Western Front, I'll use the generic decals, but do a bit more research for appropriate serial numbers etc (perhaps for 12 Squadron, although was that the black and white chequerboard design?) - or I might just go for a general homage based on the machines depicted in the aforementioned "Wings" DVD series! (which were presumably historically accurate for he period).

Which of course means I can use the camera!

Happy days.

Hi Grumpy OM

The info about 12 Squadron is interesting - I'll follow that one up as well.

The other challenging aspect (if I'm going to go down the 12 Squadron meets "Wings" avenue) will be the placement of the Lewis gun - it would appear that the squadrons on the Western Front devised their own mountings on the side of the fuselage in order to be able to fire forward (albeit at an angle) just outside the propeller arc.

Many thanks!