Front couplings A1 /A4 locos

Robc058

Hi - awaiting Scotsman and Easterner sets, but planning layout.

I had hoped to include a "there and back again" branch line as well as a continuous running circuit.

Many preserved lines run tender locomotives, using a passing loop to run round the train and perform a return journey tender first. Watercress line is an example.

I had read somewhere that the TT locos do not have front couplings, so this would render the branch line idea rather difficult (saving a turntable or triangle at each end?).

That said some of the Hornby design ideas are for a shunting layout (eg on a shelf), so it seems odd to promote such, but not equip the locos to run tender first pulling a set of rolling stock.

Please can anyone confirm?

Of course the idea may not be dead assuming a future release of tank engines or diesel locos. Perhaps I have to wait...

The Blink Bonny loco in The Scotsman set is indeed lacking a front coupler. The photos on the online shop would indicate that the forthcoming diesel locos will have front and rear couplers, and hopefully future steam locos such as tank engines will have them. The large express steam locos do look to just be coupling at the tender though, which is a little disappointing. I'd hoped to run some like you describe too.

I think the problem is there's no room to accommodate the self-centering mechanism (Kinematik Kupplung or KK mechanism) up inside the underframe as is done for coaches and wagons, all you've got is the bufferbeam and front foot plate. Even if you could fit a KK, with a long loco such as the A1 there's a lot of overhang of the front buffer beam on tight curves.

So the alternative becomes a bogie mounted coupling, the challenge there will be to mount an NEM pocket at the correct height without fouling the buffers. At the very least you'd have to forego low hanging detail such as 3-link couplings and brake pipes. It can certainly be done: looking at images of Arnold TT locos those which have a front coupling appear to have it bogie mounted? Same with my N gauge steamers, though some of those don't bother with a front coupling pocket either (the more recent models in particular).

Rallymatt

Hornby Dublo never put a front coupling on the A4, Duchess/City, Castle, M-Navy.

The 8F's were sometimes supplied with one then at other times without.

All Dublo locos without a front coupling had a hook in the buffer beam with a shaped wire link to represent the "screwlink".

Dublo was far better in the respect of not putting a front coupling on a main line loco. At the time Tri-ang disappointed many by putting one on although it could be taken off.

Garry