Operation Metcalfe

Peachy

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Peachy Try printing on to an A4 sticky label, works brilliantly and you don't have to wait hours for the glue to dry.
You can get them on next day delivery from a company who I shan't name but sound like they're based on a South American river.

You lot are full of cracking ideas. Cheers chaps

@Artyp thanks for mentioning Wordsworth Models, I hadn't heard of them before. Just tried to download one, but the file won't let me open it. I'll try again tomorrow.

I use Peazip to extract the download files to a folder. They are in PDF format then.

If you’re not bothered about the final print quality you can print on to sticky labels, not the best way but it’s quick or you can use Matt photo paper which is quite cheap plus you get the better quality finish. As for printing try an ecotank or a smart tank, dirt cheap to run even with branded inks, these are now quite cheap and will only set you back about £200 for a new one. Refurbished ones are even cheaper. Well worth getting if you want to do home printing card models.

@Shaun-345564

Scalescenes have obviously done their very best to fill the rather surreal lacuna between the introduction of TT120 and the after-market catching up to provide 120 scale buildings etc. I take my hat off to Scalescenes! Thank you!

But;

I have tried what you suggest, and concluded that it works. However, it is very time consuming, and as others have suggested, not especially cheap, even if just building a free sample.

I am not that bothered about the cost, but if one of the objects of introducing TT120 is to get away from the ‘fiddly’ of N Scale, then I don’t find that printing Scalescenes models at 63% of OO scale works for me.

Until such time as the market provides semi pre-cut building kits at 120 scale, I will continue to buy stuff in and plonk!

A halfway is to use Metcalfe N scale pre-cuts, and I have built two of their row of four shops this week. You have to look hard to realise that a three story building at 148 is at a different scale from a two story one at 120…but those wishing to exhibit will rightly disagree.

I find the Hornby launch curiously dysfunctional. Amongst many conundrums, why launch LNER locos with Carlisle & Settle buildings? And run out of straight set track?

It is curious—although for a short time in 1961-2 the principal trains were hauled by A3 Pacifics based at Leeds (Holbeck) which by then had been transferred to the NE Region. On occasion, A4 and A1 Pacifics, as well as A3s, were used on relief trains for a while post 1962, but the principal trains were by then hauled by class 45 "Peaks", a type of locomotive that Hornby have never modelled.

Britannia Pacifics and 9Fs were used, as were 5MTs, but most passenger trains were hauled by "Royal Scots" or "Jubilees", none of which are yet planned.

But there are other oddities too—LNER wagons and brake van but no LNER freight locos planned to haul them—though the LNER van doesn't look like one to me, and its brown livery looks an awful lot like GWR freight grey…

Apart from the train sets, they don't seem to be giving much thought to providing a cohesive range.