6 wheeled coaches in BR Maroon livery labelled `Signal Works Engineer, Colchester`

Richard-348619

I was delighted and very pleasantly surprised to see that two models for release this year are both 6 wheeled coaches in maroon livery labelled ` Signal Works Engineer Colchester`.

That was me!

The original inspiration must have been a Gresley LNER `BT` bogie compartment coach built in 1926 that was converted for push and pull operation and I believe worked on the Epping - Ongar branch until it was electrified in 1957.

The coach was then placed into departmental service and numbered KDE 320759. I first saw it in 1974 in the sidings that serviced the Signal and Telecoms stores for the Norwich Area of the Norwich Division at Trowse when it was in painted and peeling red livery.

I next came across it when I was appointed Area Signal Engineer, Norwich in April 1982 and discovered that the coach was allocated to my Area as the Mess and Tool Van for my gangs, mainly that of the redoubtable Frank Banham. My predecessor had had it serviced at Eastleigh a couple of years before and the works returned it in BR Olive Green, which was the standard colour for engineering departmental vehicles at the time. It was labelled `Area Signal Engineer, Norwich which was a source of great pride to myself and my staff.

In due course the Olive Green livery faded and so I asked my painter to repaint it in the nearest he could get to LNER brown, which suited it well.

A reorganisation was approaching after which I would be Signal Works Engineer, Colchester, loosing responsibility for maintenance but keeping all the new works staff over a bigger District plus the Mess and Tool Van, so had it labelled `Signal Works Engineer, Colchester`.

The coach was finally withdrawn in 1990 and is now at the Tamar Belle Holidays and Visitor Centre where it is used as a function room.

I realise that this is probably not of great interest as it is only obliquely about the models themselves but I would be interested to know how the decision was made to put my old job title on them!

Hi Richard

For posterity, would you mind detailing what was hauled in the "Signal Works Engineer, Colchester" wagon?

Typical consist?

Locomotive used?

Purpose?

Etc?

Whilst this isn't my era, it occurs to me that this is a rare opportunity for Enthusiasts who want to mirror prototype practice.

If you wouldn't mind sir?

Thanks

Bee

In case the OP, Richard, follows the progress of this thread, I have found a photograph on Paul Bartlett's website (paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/erdepartmentalstock), of a Gresley BT bogie coach ADE320795 taken at Romford (some 30 miles from Colchester) in October 1982. Whether this is the same coach, I do not know, but the stock number and the brown colour is very similar to that quoted by Richard (KDE320759) and it matches the description on Tamar Belle's website.

To answer WATB's question, although Tamar Belle say the vehicle continued with BR until 1990, and acknowledging the appearance of departmental stock was seldom better than uncared-for, its condition in the 1982 photograph makes it unlikely it would have been allowed out of the yard. There does not appear to be the 'Condemned' symbol (cross in circle) on the bodywork but what markings there are are not decipherable other than "Not to be hump shunted". Had it ventured out in the 1970s/80s, perhaps accompanied by some of the other vehicles photographed, a class 31 diesel or even an 08 shunter might have been the motive power.

So, unless anyone has any more positive information, I think Hornby have employed 'artistic licence' in producing the two 6-wheelers in pristine condition crimson red livery and without any bodywork alterations.