R8247 PAD losing its address

St1ngr4y

This year I have converted my layout to DCC. I have 8 R8247 accessory decoders, an Elite controller, and a PC running Railmaster connected to the Elite. On the Railmaster, I have started to create programs which bring trains from hidden sidings into a

4 platform station. These programs incorporate point changes to bring a particular train into a particular platform. One particular program was being tested when the train in question took a wrong turn at a particular point. This point was connected to the

first port of decoder 7, therefore its port number was 25. The program had a step switching this point to the left, but it had been switched to the right. After a bit of experimentation, I found that this point was now firing in response to a signal to point

number 1, and when point 25 was selected either through Railmaster or directly through the Elite, the point was not responding at all. In fact, all four points connected to decoder 7, i.e. 25, 26, 27 & 28, were now responding when points 1, 2, 3 & 4 were selected.

So, I disconnected the decoder from my DCC bus, got a long pair of wires to stretch from the Elite to the decoder, and re-programmed it for address group 7. I reconnected it to the DCC bus and all 4 points started working ok again ... for about an hour then

the same thing happened again. Has anyone experienced this before? Is there a cure or do I have a faulty decoder?

I remember this happening to me once when I installed a new version of the Elite software. I don't know if it was something to do with the Classic/Standard thing - anyway, it all got corrupted and the points ( like yours) were all over the place.

The

'cure' for me ( at any rate) was resetting the Elite. Not had the problem since then.

Thanks for your replies, guys. I think before I contact HCC, tomorrow I will physically move the 'faulty' decoder (which insists on being number 1) to the location of the current number one, then I will re-program this 'good' one as decoder 7 and relocate

it to where the faulty one used to be. I'll try this for a while to see if I have any further problems.

Archived