Warranty

Silver Fox 17

Does anyone know what the warranty period is for these models?

I don't remember Tri-ang stating one but Hornby Dublo gave you either 30 or 60 days. 60 years they are still running as they left the factory, will these still be running in just 10 years?

Another person has now sent their loco back 3 times, that is 3 people that I have read about returning a model on 3 occasions.

My experience is with Hornby's HO brand models and in 19 years I have only had one - fixable - failure. With careful use I would expect them - I have 16 plus 3 on order - to outlast me, and I intend to be around for another 30 years!

Time will tell with the TT120 models but there is no reason why, with careful handling, they shouldn't function for many years.

Many Dublo models are still running but plenty more will be like the ones I got from my cousin. Completely goosed before I even got my hands on them which would mean they probably had a service life of less than 5yrs. And TT120 is a much more accurate model!

Ellocoloco, In 60+ years I have never returned any item N, Triang TT, Triang 00, Hornby Dublo 2 and 3-rail and 0 gauge with nearly 1000 locos in that time. I have always been able to repair but I think I have read about more issues with Hornby 120 already than I ever had with all the others in 60+ years in total.

As for Dublo, irrespective of accuracy, they were solid well built models and only gave issues due to poor handling. Even Tri-ang at the time was practically bomb proof.

Hornby should be watching the factories like a hawk after the issues they've had so far.

I have this impression of a Colonel of the old guard in a pith helmet promenading around the factory benches tapping workers on the shoulder with his swagger stick and barking out commands to work faster and not to make mistakes, else they will be for the chop.

I doubt an external QA inspection happens more than once a production run.

Some general advice on Product warranties and Guarantees in the UK, in consumer law these are the same thing.

By law and unless clearly specified otherwise at the time of sale, the minimum warranty/guarantee period for an item, is 12 months. Obviously there are listed exceptions like perishable products and single use items. Right to a refund is different, Sale of Goods act and Distance selling regulations gives the consumer rights to a refund for defective goods or cancel a contract because you changed your mind, aand get a refund in first days however longer term a ‘retailer’ is responsible for repairs/replacements during the warranty period. If having given the ‘retailer’ fair opportunity to repair an item it consistently suffered the same failure the purchaser has the right to claim an refund, This can sometimes need court action to achieve but decent companies usually agree before that.

Remember, in UK law, the contract is always between the Buyer and Seller (Hornby in the case of TT:120)

This is a general outline and details do change