Brittania on DCC layout

JohnShort

I'm new to the hobby ( well did have a model railway 40 years ago ) . I am building a DCC layout and my old analogue engine Brittania ( motor in tender ) has stopped working. I was driving it using code 00. Stopped it on a siding and left it. I notices

some smoke coming out of the tender. Took the engine off the rails but now it wont work. I've had a look in the tender and if I take the drive gears off and give the motor a help it will start driving. it does however make a clicking noise. With the gears

back on and a good helping hand the tender will drive the loco but very very slowly.

Have I burnt out a set of windings? can you use Brittania on a dcc layout and lastly can I buy a new motor and a decoder?

Sorry for all the questions but

I really need some help

Thanks

John

poliss said:

You should never leave a DC loco stationary on a DCC layout. The motor can burn out very quickly. The 00 function for controlling DC locos should be removed from all controllers in my opinion.

Sorry to hear that

John - you must be pretty peeved! Good tip Poliss, thanks, I will try to remember.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi

Contact either East Kent Models or Abbiegails to obtain a replacement motor unit. (Google them)

Don't forget you will still need to convert the new motor unit to DCC.

Do ensure the left hand brush strip of the new motor unit is totally insulated

from all the wheels and metal chassis of the tender before any conversion is carried out.

Failure to ensure this will result in immediate decoder destruction should the tender/loco be placed onto DCC powered rails.

Archived