JG2 ‘Richthofen’ Bf109s

Ratch

Ratch, I would be very interested in the answer to Rod’s second question about brush painting. Does preshading work here?

No, not really. I suppose a similar effect could be achieved by stippling.

Maybe its a case of colour perception, but to me, the RLM71 looks too olive green and the RLM70 looks fine (Black/Green). I have used RLM65 from two different manufacturers and they don't match. Every manufacturer sells their own interpretation of colours. I look on it as just part of the hobby finding the ones I'm happy with. I know lots of modellers like a big difference between RLM70/71, but I'm of the opinion that they were very close. I have some 1960s reference books that say the uppers on Luftwaffe aircraft during the BoB were just Black/Green. I think it's now generally accepted that all were splinter camouflaged and that photographic film of the time made the colours too close to call in monochrome.

Anyway, the markings are on now, so not much more to do.

forum_image_640dc7b3223ee.png.e9e273f76a19f0b94e8146d380b9c38c.png

forum_image_640dc7b4c99c6.png.fdc1b974f3dde7cdb5aeb5f092be27a2.png

All of the small bits - balance weights, aerial mast, machine guns etc - are still on the runners. I didn't want to knock them off when applying the decals. In hindsight it would have been better to leave the tail and the struts off too. It would have made masking easier. Something to remember if I do any of these again.

It may not look like much has been done, but much touching up has ensued. I knocked #2s aerial mast off while handling it for painting, so its in the box awaiting fitment after varnishing. I hope I've not overcooked the exhaust staining.

forum_image_6410aab8a6d32.png.fde10f94ec015a4d9bffc2c14759d24c.png

forum_image_6410aabab72f4.png.ec419ab80ab784b29bf77a57b850036f.png

forum_image_6410aabc5c658.png.fdaf48a16e6916718612aab4e0e1aabd.png

forum_image_6410aabdeddc5.png.079fecb046a455143db591296d09d20e.png

Coming along nicely, in my view.

I have always wanted to make more than one aircraft from the same squadron but could never work up the enthusiasm. Perhaps I should follow your example and make them at the same time, rather than one after the other.

Still can’t come to terms with the Luftwaffe mottling without an airbrush.

Two ways you might try mottling:

1 by stippling, using the ends of the brush with very little paint on (almost like dry brushing). Not drawing the brush along, but dabbing the filaments.

2 use a sponge, again don't overload it.

Best to practice on something expendable.

they are looking good ratch the mottling looks good think that's what has put me off building these not having an airbrush.

I've done the old 109 kit and did the the stippling with one of humbrols stipple brushes, it just doesn't look right no matter what i try, i do tend to stay away from it now

Ive been wanting to try these. I might have the opportunity when I make the Axis planes for the pedastal group. I have to think that these could be used with brushes.

I have one more set for Bf109s trop. I think the insignia could be used on any plane.

Randall

Oh I see. I'd call them masks, And yes the Baulkenkreus (sic) could be used on lost of aircraft.