What acronym did the LMR use for themselves?

Today, we refer to the Liverpool and Manchester Railway as the LMR. But that certainly wasn't the acronym the LMR used! I will tell you what it was, but first, read about the clear proof.

The LMR was constructed to handle the volume of freight between Liverpool and Manchester, freight far beyond the capacity of the canals. Cotton, in particular. Almost immediately, the Board was inundated with claims of damaged merchandise.

How was that? Embers landed on that merchandise and, at times, burned that wagon to the ground. In simple fact, Railway Guards rode on the rear wagons to look explicitly for fires.

The LMR, being a business organization, looked to reduce costs. The LMR covered the merchandise with tarpaulins. These swiftly became targets of theft, as they were enormous bits of cloth with no identifying marks. So the LMR stamped their acronym on the tarpaulins.  

Ackermann, our known good observer, records that acronym on several depicted wagons. Here is one of the clearest

forum_image_640103235376f.thumb.png.dfdfc972c6cbcd1c8b534537a4405b4a.png

Quite legibly, we have LPM RW.  

I make that to be L[iver] P[ool] M[anchester] R[ail] W[ay]. I invite other interpretations, but this one is obvious.

In any event, Liverpool is two words!! I've seen some entomology discussions about this oddity online, but the short answer is 'Yes, two words is considered valid'. Consider the locomotive (LMR26) named "Liver", a Bury 2-2-0. It is oddly named, but only until the two word reference is understood.

Next we come to "Rail Way", also two words. Historically, this is also correct. References to rail way, rail-way abound. It is our modern spelling which demands a singular word.

If I was to refer to the LPM RW, most all would look at me quizzically, yet this was the LMR reference they used on themselves.

Another bit of railway oddity that will be duplicated on my scale tarpaulins, if I only could understand how the LMR tied them down.

Bee

Hi XYZ

I do wish it was clear as that.

The acronym appears on several different tarpaulins. Its not just this one. The one I chose is the clearest.

Alternatively, we also have the published works of company officers, who refer to the company as the "Liverpool and Manchester Railway".

Parliament authorized the railway with the title "Liverpool and Manchester Railway Bill" [HC Deb 06 April 1826 vol 15 cc89-94]

When spelled out, it is Liverpool and Manchester Railway. As a acronym, the railway used LPMRW.

Is this a Margaret v Peggy situation?

Bee