Unrebuilt Merchant Navy

forester

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The words do not even have to be naughty to be caught by the 'naughty-word checker'!!

Of course it's appeal would be limited - to people who want an Original Merchant Navy. Those who don't want it won't buy it!

That applies to anything and everything. Hornby and other manufacturers know that whatever they produce will only be sold

to those who want it. What they have to consider is whether they have a genuine demand for a model or a few people making a lot of noise. A classic case is the Blue Pullman. For the life of me I cannot see the appeal but there have been lots of calls for it

on here and The B. Co are doing it. I hope I'm wrong but I cannot see that selling in the quantities that the posts on here would suggest. Oldtrainguy was always banging on about the XO4 motor and Nellie, but from what I could see it only appealed to him (and

possibly LC&DR). Even LC&DR wanted an updated version modelled properly as a C14.

Nothing worse than going to buy something, only to be told that 'there's no demand for it.' Of course there is, I'm demanding it!!!

Certainly there is demand for the Merchant Navy - as built with the air smoothed casing. How much demand? Well, we can't objectively say and Hornby rightly don't discuss their market research data.

Arguably since the chassis exists from the rebuilt

Merchant Navy, the path to a model is slightly easier.

Is there more demand for something like a J15 0-6-0? Maybe. But like it or not, 'big, green and named' is a winning formula in this business and the Flannel Jackets suit this formula admirably.

But we can quote the MREmag poll results. Here are the top five SR

locomotive votes:

1. LBSCR H2 4-4-2 Brighton Atlantic 81
2. LSWR 700 0-6-0 (Black Motor) 59
3. SR Merchant Navy 4-6-2 (unrebuilt) 58
4. SR S15 4-6-0 No 30823-30847 51
5. LSWR 04155 4-4-2T Adams Radial 48

58 votes is not

too shabby in this poll. It is more than the Adams Radial tank discussed in the IOW wishlist thread and this IS being manufactured.

The overall winner was the GER (LNER) J15 0-6-0 with 82 votes.

Could say the same about GWR locos, large Stanier locos, LNER J38 & J39 also J71 % J72.

The only really distinctive locos are the Bullied pacifics and the Stremlined Duchesses. I Was going to put the A4s but, of course, you have the P2s and the

the streamlined Sandringhams which have to same general outline

Same goes for most Thompson built / rebuilt tender locomotives! The all carry the 100A boiler, composite cab and tender. Only the arrangement of wheels are different! Riddles designs ditto, but that was intentional.

There is no unrebuilt Merchant Navy in preservation, therefore few people are around today who remember them.
But as one who does remember them, I can assure you that the Merchant Navy was altogether more

impressive than the light pacifics in original form. Photos don't do them justice.
This would become quite apparent if Hornby were to produce a model of one. If they did I can guarantee no-one would say: "I've got a West Country, why would I want a Merchant

Navy". They would say: "Wow! That's some big loco!" That's particulaly true of the First Series with the streamline tender. It's nothing like a light pacific.

I suppose it is the difference between an 8P express and a 7P/5F mixed traffic engine. The same that would distinguish an A4 from a B17/5, or Jubilee from a Black 5. Superficially they look alike, but there is enough difference in the way they were used

to make the big'n special. The types of train they were used to work, and the prestige of the class are another marker. No LMS fan would suggest that you should not have a model of both, say, a Royal Scot and a Patriot, or a GW fan have to tolerate the exclusion

of a King just because there is a model of a Castle available.

Over many years the Southern has been the poor relation in the model world, despite a considerable following. To deny them at least their own prestigious locomotive is somewhat crass don't

you think?

The original Merchant Navy had a much more massive front end than the light pacifics - larger smokebox, deeper smoke deflectors. It is considerably longer

- longer wheelbase, longer firebox.
There's a brilliant photo of a light pacific decked out in Golden Arrow regalia (Weymouth or City of Wells, I can't remember which) next to Clan Line dressed up for the Night Ferry, which shows the differences beautifully.

And

of course the Merchant Navy locos went through a lot of changes and liveries before they were rebuilt which can't be modelled on West Country/Battle of Britain locos: black, blue, gloss and matt malachite, deflector changes (or none at all), casing ribs, narrow

and wide front ends. Lots of variety.

Hi Forester, It was 'City of Wells'. It is a remarkable picture and features on page 6 of the album "Heyday of Stewarts Lane and its Locomotives". There are also a couple of pictures of 'Rotterdam Lloyd' on 'the 'arrer'. It is clear that 'Clan Line' is

broader, and the smoke deflectors are larger. You cannot see the extra length, but if you compare 'Channel Packet' on page 10 with 'Kenley' on page 15 it is obvious that the Merchant Navy is a beefier beast.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
I'm sure people would buy the unrebuilt Merchant Navy just to get express passenger blue on their Southern layouts as much for the loco itself. Blue worked on the air-smoothed casing better than on any of the other Class 8s around the country. I looks

natural on the MN whereas it looks wrong on a King or a Duchess in my view

I think it is now extremely likely that a Merchant Navy in original air smooted condition will appear next year.

Why, you ask?

I have just finished assembling a Golden Arrow kit of one, on a Hornby MN chassis with BB/WC cylinders and connecting

rods. It is now awaiting painting. Every time I do this someone brings one out! My track record so far is - Fairburn 4mt 2-6-4T, scratch built, SECR 'C' 0-6-0 SEF kit, 2EPB electric multiple unit DC Kits, Schools with large chimney (after the original Hornby

one was discontinued, I married a Dapol kit body to a Hornby chassis).

Simultaneously I have also just finished a SER/SECR Stirling O1 0-6-0 (Golden Arrow again)and in my 'to do' box I have their SR Z 0-8-0T kit and a Hornby 8F to donate a chassis.

I do not expect to see an O1 because someone is promising the C, but a Z is a distinct possibility to appear RTR.

Archived