Unrebuilt Merchant Navy

forester

Knowing our luck we will get one in Blue, but it will be in the one off livery with a red body stripe, carried by only one member of the class, come on LC&DR over to you( my reference library went up in smoke). Two for me, Belgian Marine with Pullmans

and the Royal Head code, and Aberdeen Common Wealth. Oh and of course 4-Cor, 4-Lav, 4-Sub, W, H-15 ( not those awful rebuilds ). Oh and did I ask for a 4-Cor.

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Couldn't agree more PP, it's like the damfool politicians and "reflation"!!! Seriously though I remember 21C1 in about the August of 1941 drawing up to the stopblocks at Waterloo with what I can only assume was the "UP" Atlantic Coast Express or whatever

was in its place as a result of wartime restrictions! Yes! I would love a model of "Channel Packet" in original Bulleid condition.

Yes Mortehoe (oblique reference to the plain blue 4 Vep I presume?)it would be just our luck to get 35024 as the only example in blue with the red stripes!
The other regions have had their 8P power in blue so why not the Southern.

It is ironic

that the LNER could keep blue looking good on the 'Streaks' but BR failed miserably with the 8P blue livery and abandoned it in favour of boring dark green. Even the mixed traffic black lined in LNWR style, if kept clean looked more attractive than the passenger

green that BR painted most of its express passenger locomotives. Thank heaven that the LMR had the good sense to paint some of their 8P locomotives red eventually.

I suppose I like the LNWR style because the LCDR and the PQR both used variations of

it. Linda and Blanche first arrived at Portmadoc in this livery and I saw them there in the 1960s, and jolly good they looked too.

Now my air smoothed Merchant Navy in blue is finished I an really pleased with it. It looks more smart than any of the

West Countrys in BR green.

The Devon Belle ran between June 1947 and September 1954 (7 years) and it only ran between June and September and it did not run every day. Initially it ran Monday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday, but in the final three years it only ran at weekends.

The departure from Waterloo was almost always in charge of the Merchant Navy class as far as Exeter, and always an 'air-smoothed' Pacific. The locomotives were changed at Wilton and Exeter Central. The change at Wilton was done because it was believed to be

quicker to change engines than for the first engine to take on water! The Southern did not use water troughs. The change at Exeter was because the Merchant Navy was too heavy to go further west. Passengers therefore had the chance to ride behind two Merchant

Navys and a West Country. The Merchant Navy class were painted blue between 1949 and 1953 (4 years) so for most of its operation it would almost certainly have a blue engine on the front.

I saw several Devon Belles arriving at Exeter Central from Waterloo with an M.N.,then going on to Ilfracombe with a B.o B. or W.C. and also doing the opposite when returning from Devon to london. I have still got my notebook with details of loco and pullman

names and car nos. of several trains spotted in Sept. and Oct. 1954, at Exeter Central.

A Devon Belle Maxi train pack would be a formidable luxury item, hugely expensive of course. An air smoothed Merchant Navy,plus a similar West Country, four or five pullman cars and an observation car. However I doubt if anyone on this forum could afford

it, but what a Christmas present!

• 3 weeks later...
Anyone else noticed how many people model West Country class locos in blue? (incorrectly).
I've seen professional West Country repaints in blue. I've seen them on exhibition layouts. Wrenn did one, Graham Farish?....

All this must show there

is a pent-up demand for a proper blue original Merchant Navy.

forester, I had a stand up sit down argument with a guy at the Halifax exhibition a few years ago.
He was selling a Hornby original West Country in black. A far as I know they were green from the start, and since the Hornby model has the V cab black

is a no no.
The only real break you could get away with, and that will be pushing it, is renaming City of Wells ( apart from renaming Wells ) is naming it O.V.S. Bullied, but she only carried that name whilst undergoing attention in the work shop.
A

Blue Merchant would be great, but LC&DR's idea of a super set with Pullmans and Blue Merchant Navy, with a West Country would be great. To finance it I am applying for EU membership, as a small country, to qualify for a bail out.

• 2 weeks later...

You are

right mortehoe, West Countries were never black. Why do people do that? Would they paint them LMS crimson Lake?

But early unrebuilt Merchant Navies were black and looked smart if they were clean. I would have to have a black one if Hornby ever produces

an U/R MN.

The light pacifics were subject to the livery experiments in 1949 and a few ran in apple green lined out grey yellow and red. Apart from these the light pacifics only really had two liveries Malachite with yellow stripes, and dark green with orange and

black lining. There were individual variations on these themes however. (I am ignoring works grey of course).

The Merchant Navy class, or at least members of it, managed to appear in Malachite lined yellow, Black unlined , Blue lined red, Blue lined

black and white (at least two different shades), and dark green lined orange and black. Unfortunately none of these apart from dark green was ever applied to the locomotives in BR service after they were rebuilt. In preservation one did get painted blue for

a little while, and very nice it looked too.

Archived