Unrebuilt Merchant Navy

forester

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hi Forester,
I don't keep up with the full size stuff, I have enough trouble keeping up with the 4mm scale world. Talk of reverting a preserved MN back to air smoothed was kicked about for years, but with my limited knowledge of

heavy engineering, it would probably be easier to start from new. A new set of driving wheels would be required ( rebuilds have the large counter balance weights ). Although the frames were kept, I don't know how much butchery took place during rebuilding,

and whether, the frames would stand the act of being reverted back to original form.
One for LC&DR to ponder over.

Glad to oblige!

Ideally the retro-rebuild ought to address those features that OVSB wanted to include but

was prevented from doing by the War. Yes to the Air Smooth Casing, Yes to the High Boiler Pressure and Thermic Syphons, Yes to three cykinders and outside admission, No to chain driven valve gear, and Yes to rotary cam valve gear (Caprotti?) instead. Is some

ways the Merchant Navys should have been a precursor to 71000. I am not 100% certain, but I don't believe the balance weights were cast on to the wheels of the rebuilds so ought to be removable. If not there may be some WC wheels that could be used. The frames

were not significantly altered. If you consider the work required to restore one from 'Barry' condition the work involved would be similar either way.

It is certain that the MN kettle was one of the best ever built, and a MN in good condition was a

magnificent machine. Jarvis' rebuild turned it from supurb to unbeatable, so other than nostalgia or the chance to vindicate OVSB as I say above, the 'un-rebuild' is not likely to attract much support. (Now hopefully someone will prove me wrong!!)

I'm with you on this one, I hope some one proves us both wrong.

Hi PP,
missed 'em, just read them, rib ticklers, to say the least. Oh yes, you forgot, the wallet might be coming out three times next year. if a get together can be organised, the beers and pies are on me. So arm yourself with freeing oil and a large

crowbar.

It would help

if I could get the names right - for Elders Fyffes read Elder Dempster Lines, -- senility sets in! I also have two Clan Lines already, a Wrenn one and a modern Hornby one, but an air smoothed one would certainly find a place in my collection.

I wouldn't be surprised if an Unrebuilt MN is release soon as I've got a Millholme MN in SR Mallachite, BR Green and am working on a BR Blue.

On previous occasions I've finished building kits of T9, M7, Q1 and Rebuilt MN, to have Ready-to-run release

soon afterwards.

Still waiting for Q, S15 and U though.

You and me both! In my 'to do box' I have two SEF kits for a pair of 'U1's, a pair of 'C's, a Branchlines 'O1', A NNK '4Sub', a MTK '4EPB', three Kirk/Ashby

'2Bils', a DC Kits 6S, and a 2H, a Golden Arrow Z, and assorted Triang L1s, Sir Dinadans etc. for butchery to make Ls, D1s E1s and S15s. I also have some Airfix 14xx and HD R1s with a view to cobbling together some Hs. As soon as I start assembling them one

of the manufacturers will make one. That has already happened with a Fairburn 4MT, a pair of 2EPBs, and two SEF Cs when they have been announced by the competition, and a pair of wide chimney V by Hornby, plus of course repainting Dinadans into BR liveries.

Good job I enjoy making them.

Quick, LC&DR, make one of

your Bils, and dash out and buy a 4-Cor, and who knows ??????

Rest assured I'm on with it at the moment, but with Branchline etched brass 2Hal sides instead. Can't promise on the 4Cor, they were rarely on the SED, and the 2Bil only worked a limited diagram to Orpington and back in rush hours. 2Hals were the units

I need, I already have a Phoenix one made, and one of their 'Tin Hal' kit in waiting.

Hi, LC&DR,

Are you a Southern Railways Group member?

Archived