Learning another tool - FreeCAD

Where to begin?

I can sketch parts with a pencil and paper and then make them. However, this becomes highly ineffective as the part complexity increases. If I am to make Planet, with oscillating handles, it will require CAD.

There are a few free CAD packages available. I selected FreeCAD 0.18.

After a few tutorials, I decided that Tiger's front buffer adapter would be an interesting first challenge. Generation 1 worked to propel chaldrons in the banking test. Yet the part was fragile.

On to generation 2.

I acquired some threaded rod and nuts in the 0000-160 persuasion, so as to make the part more robust. Instead of pine, I will use rosewood, a tropical hardwood scrap from an earlier project.

In FreeCAD, the rectangular blocks were fairly straightforward. The through holes and counter bores were slightly more challenging.

The threaded rods were a difficult challenge. These were not constructed from a library. Rather, a rod (0.021" diameter) was extruded and external threads applied via a helix of the correct threads per inch (160) and subtractive pipe.

The nuts were even more of a challenge. A hexagon was extruded. The chamfers on the top and bottom surfaces were applied, so as to relieve the corners. A thru hole, of the minor thread diameter (0.0128") was applied. Finally the internal threads were constructed using the helix process as above.

forum_image_6410bbd0eb70f.thumb.png.4385790de197f85c7bedef52ccface79.png

And the threaded parts, with my index finger, for a sense of scale

forum_image_6410bbd404b71.thumb.png.52f6b73f2c66d3a54b999be86f8cf0ee.png

Bee

Hi 96RAF

Thank you kindly for the suggestion.

I chose FreeCAD for lots of reasons, including the ones you mention. Lots of online tutorials. Rich community. It also has a vast array of real CAD tools and it it is parameter driven.

An example of this is the counter bore radius. I looked in my shop, and could only find a 0.104" flat bottom drill, nothing smaller. Instead of buying another flat bottom drill at the radius I designed, I dialed in the radius of the new drill. This was a problem, as the counterbores now intersected, a no no. So I changed the 2 parameters that represented the axes of the 4 holes....and all the parts, threaded rods, nuts, etc, all adjusted. I did not change the dimension on every part individually, I changed the parameter those dimensions were linked to. Viola!

I do suppose this is like Scarm v AnyRail, or any other track planning tool. Its a choice.

Bee

Here is generation 2 of my buffer adapter.

forum_image_6413db9848cdc.thumb.png.7b454921c756e6772a1a86d68d108135.png

The middle member has the wood grain running side to side, with the front plates and back plate grain running vertically. The metal threaded rod is installed and bolted. A bit of 242 Locktite to keep it secure. This is far and away more robust than generation 1.

I did have a problem with the #61 drill bits for the thru hole. My drill press could not grip the tiny diameter, so I was forced to use a hand drill. That's never as precise as a drill press, so the nuts aren't in a line, they are a bit wonky. Not noticeable at 3 feet.

The nuts, being a real three dimensional part, really pop on the buffer adapter. The rosewood grain really shows. I may add a touch of varnish to bring out the color

Bee