Platform loop

TheGreenGuit

As others have pointed out, notably Charlie Bishop at Chadwick, there is a problem with platform loops with the TT120 locos released so far by `Hornby, in that none of them have front couplings. So the Heritage practice of decoupling the loco from the train at a terminus and running it through a loop and attaching it to the rear of the train, to enable it to take it back to its starting point tender-first, cannot work.

But, in a long-winded attempt to answer your question, you need two points of opposite hands, two 6th radius curves, and enough straights both to enable the loco to be driven forward across the terminus point and allow it to clear.

It is simpler now to describe the process. The point is then changed, the loco placed in reverse, and driven along the train, backwards until it rejoins the main incoming line, the point behind the last carriage having been changed to allow that.

Then, in Hornby 120, you need The Hand of God!

Hopefully, He is not too busy.

That’s what’s been said previously.

What I’m not sure about is the straight sections needed before you go back at the other end of the station because the 92mm extended straight at 15 degrees after the point doesn’t seem to be any set track straight length. Might be a half straight, will check some time. I use Tillig flex in Anyrail to play around with stuff like this.

Reason I don’t think it is a half straight is I know that 170.76mm at 15 degrees is 166mm horizontal and, together with the point and R6 is 83mm vertical.

Confirming that if you use the 92mm extended half straight between a point and R6 curve back to parallel, you end up with a gap between track centres of of 67mm which I’m assuming is sufficient to fit a platform.

But then, if you use the same arrangement to loop around the other end of the platform using standard straights between the R6s, you end up with a gap of standard straights plus 177m on the through line between the points, or 11mm more than a standard straight.

So can’t see how you can do this using only set track.

Thanks Fishmanoz. That is what I meant. I just want a train to be able to use the other side of the platform coming off a straight, waiting and then be able to rejoin at the other end, whilst creating the correct gap to accommodate the platform. However it looks like the solution is not straightforward.

I have the answer, once the post has been approved sunglasses

Leaves you with an 8-9mm gap between platform edge and sleeper edge both sides.

The other option is to use flex track if you want a different gap, both Tillig and Peco Flex should connect to Hornby OK.

96RAF, I only have a track planner to go on, so the exact geometry on it might not be correct and it might all join up fine, but when I've laid it out with the extended straight I always get a gap when I try to connect the loop back to the main line. Is there anything we should be doing to prevent this?

forum_image_64131ca847a85.thumb.png.4381f723d176be73e80440d25fa3bdc9.png

No idea Dave, my solution was only to get the width to accommodate the platform. I presume you may need to insert flexi in lieu of some of the 166mm long bits.

Does your track planner have the option to adjust connection tolerances, like SCARM can.

ad Robc058

So did I. And I am sticking with it for the moment.

I don’t like the Hornby platforms..they are too much of a toy for me.

But having received some laser-burnt MDF ones, I think they are too high.

I have been on hundreds of British trains but have never stepped down into a carriage from the platform.

May have to resuscitate the belt sander.

There is a bigger range of track pieces in the Tillig Modellgleis range than just the Hornby full/half/quarter straight, though nothing the length of the "extended short straight". In particular there are 36.5mm and 43mm pieces; there's also a variable length "module linking track".

They connect fine to Hornby track and make some combinations possible that otherwise wouldn't be.

Ad Old Kent Biker

No!

My baseboard is quite small - 1687 x 809mm, sitting in an alcove, and I use 28mm Mdf.

The trains run reasonably quietly, but putting the layout in an alcove with plastered walls produces quit a bit of reflected noise. But it is what it is.

The height issue is not extreme…I will probably sand the platforms off.